FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Well, first we need to be in a neighborhood that allows them. So far I've just been reading about chickens and wanting them for a while. We're taking small steps to being more self-sufficient. But we don't live where chickens are allowed right now. So I just joined this site to further my education about them before we are in the position to be able to get some.

Just wanted to say
welcome-byc.gif

theres lots of Jacksonville peeps on here alot of them just havent posted on this site Alot of them go to the swap meet at Bent Creek Feed the 4th sunday of the month its a regular event there then there is also a FB page Northeast Florida Farm and Garden page

Yeah it was kind of a short introduction post as I had to run really quick once i started it LOL.
We have Bantoms for the grand kids, 2 unknown hatchery Bantoms Cinimini and Blue, 1 Polish Crested JayJay, 1 Sizzle Dweezle, and 6 2 week old Bantom Cochin chicks.
Mary also had a mixed flock with Turkens, New Hampshires, Barred Rocks and Easter Eggers.
Her pride speciffic breeds she is trying to get going are the White Face Black Spanish "we have 4 so far and hope to be able to do some preservation breeding with these guys. Mary also wants to do the French Standard Black Copper Marans, We have 2 chicks rite now left out of a shipping disaster!
They apparently missed their plane and were shipped by truck and 6 out of 8 died. 2 we have left are of the Wade Jeane line.
We had both the Bev Davis and Wade Jeane lines shipped but we lost all the Davis birds.

We will be looking for both Black Copper Marans and White Face Black Spanish "LF" in the future and after the shipping night mare would rather go local if possible for them.
Mary also hopes to "once she is sure she had good hardy healthy stock" offer them localy as well. I doubt we will be big enough to ship as this is more of a hobby and part of life long love of animals for both of us
cool.png

Mary has dealt with chickens and numerous other animals in the past,
I used to wholesale and retaiil exotic animals, do wild life rehabilitation and relocation.

Varinisblack, welcome to BYC! We have French Black Copper Marans and love them. Took us a year to get a good rooster worth keeping for breeding, and almost 2 years to hatch and cull out to get a handful of acceptable hens. We finally have a rooster with no carnation comb, or thumb prints in his comb, he and the hens don't have split wing, any white feathers, and his tail is filled in nicely. Sadly, unless you bought directly from the two bloodlines you mentioned they aren't directly related and are more of marketing label in that breed now a days.

Good luck with your searching for breeding stock, the White faced Spanish are very striking looking birds.

welcome-byc.gif
from Lake Wales. Glad you joined our dysfunctional family.
lau.gif

Now what do you all think of this. I got these eggs from my White Rocks pen. Normally they have been the color of the one on the left. Now comes this huge pale pale brown egg. It's not really white it's just the camera. Are they sometimes this color????

Varinisblack, welcome to BYC! We have French Black Copper Marans and love them. Took us a year to get a good rooster worth keeping for breeding, and almost 2 years to hatch and cull out to get a handful of acceptable hens. We finally have a rooster with no carnation comb, or thumb prints in his comb, he and the hens don't have split wing, any white feathers, and his tail is filled in nicely. Sadly, unless you bought directly from the two bloodlines you mentioned they aren't directly related and are more of marketing label in that breed now a days.
Good luck with your searching for breeding stock, the White faced Spanish are very striking looking birds.

Yeah the Spanish are Marys #1 bird and with them being listed as endangered it has inspired her that much more. the ones we just got are nothing to spectacular to look at yet and we almost passed on them BUT the stock they come from has some spectacular roosters and hens in the breeding pens! This made us take a chance with the two roos that had been picked on,
These inital birds will be only here long enough to get some founding stock and with these and others we hope to out cross and get good hardy animals 1st and foremost and 2ndary we will try for standards of show.
We belive that strong genetics are the 1st quality needed to ensure future generations! No mater how good the birds look for show it is a mute point when the losses to acheive it are beyone acceptible.
Their for we want good strong healthy genes and rather than breed for apperence 1st and fore most we will do our best to keep them in line unless there is problems geneticly.

The Marans are her #2 bird and we do not know a whole lot about them as of yet, We still have a lot to learn with them and it will be a learning experience with them being a new standard as far as I have seen.

Back
Top Bottom