FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Driving from here on the island tomorrow to just across the FL line into GA. Hauling birds up (still room for some if anyone is interested in any of the hens or goslings we have for sale) and hauling birds back down as well.

Well it sounds like I will just have to wait and see what happens. There's no way for me to completely separate my hens and the local wildlife. I don't sell eggs, and I can't have anymore chickens within city limits anyway. They still have no more symptoms so I'm going to attribute it to dust for now and just hurry up and finish their coop. They are in the garage right now with outside playtime during some of the day. Thanks everyone!

Hi!

I still don't understand where to go to add myself to the sunny side up forum though I did figure out how to post to it. Any help is appreciated.

Also, whenever my husband builds out chicken coop (which he says he will start on soon), I will be looking for some little chickens for our North Florida home here in the North Bradford County area (close to Starke & Lawtey)--between Gainesville, Jacksonville, Keystone, and Lake Butler.

The breeds I really want are a Buff Orpington and a Black Australorp, and maybe a Goldent Comet and an Easter Egger or Ameraucana, keeping in mind that my goal is to find chickens who are fairly gentle (with us and other chickens) and friendly but who also lay well. Other breeds I MAY consider if they meet my criteria are: Delaware, Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth or White rocks, or Jersey Giants.

If anyone in our area may have my main breeds or any others listed within about a month or two, let me know.

Thanks!

. There's no way for me to completely separate my hens and the local wildlife. I don't sell eggs, and I can't have anymore chickens within city limits anyway.
I know thats the truth! There are too many wild birds in the area for me to even try and no way to rid my yard of them .Plus we have a pond out back which attracts ducks and geese and other waterfowl.My hens seems happy and healthy so I'm not going to worry about roofing the run on top right now.Don't have the money for that anyway.The heavy gauge shade cloth over the 1/4 wire will just have to do for right now.Hope your chickies get over the sniffles soon!
smile.png

Hi!

I still don't understand where to go to add myself to the sunny side up forum though I did figure out how to post to it. Any help is appreciated.

Also, whenever my husband builds out chicken coop (which he says he will start on soon), I will be looking for some little chickens for our North Florida home here in the North Bradford County area (close to Starke & Lawtey)--between Gainesville, Jacksonville, Keystone, and Lake Butler.

The breeds I really want are a Buff Orpington and a Black Australorp, and maybe a Goldent Comet and an Easter Egger or Ameraucana, keeping in mind that my goal is to find chickens who are fairly gentle (with us and other chickens) and friendly but who also lay well. Other breeds I MAY consider if they meet my criteria are: Delaware, Rhode Island Reds, Plymouth or White rocks, or Jersey Giants.

If anyone in our area may have my main breeds or any others listed within about a month or two, let me know.

Thanks!
Hi neighbor!! I'm in Clay county next door. I found my chicks at the local feed stores.Not sure what stores are in Bradford but try looking some up in the yellow pages.They may still have chicks available.I know this year I got mine from Lisas feed store,Russels feed store and TSC .Russles had most of the breeds you are looking for Lisas had the buff O's, leghorns, RIR, Barred rocks and others.TSC had high production reds(a mix of red sex links and other high production red hen breeds)Of course TSC has already stopped selling chicks out of the bins this year.Someone else said they found feed stores in Jax too with a very nice selection.

I just had a Coturnix Quail go broody and successfully hatch 4 of 5 eggs.
wee.gif

She got an assist from mother nature as our weather has been 85 degrees with high humidity since the 1st of May when I left the eggs for her.

I am new to raising birds but from what I have read this is not a common occurrence and I was wondering how I can officially document it and still be under the radar with my "pet song birds in an aviary"?

Wow a broody coturnix! That's amazing. I would contact Alexandra Douglas, she is an expert on quail, lives in FL, and just released a book about them. I don't know if she is on BYC, but she is on FB, there is also a "Quail breeders unite" Facebook page.

Last edited:
i live in lawtey florida and i have a bunch of chicks to get rid of, if interested plz pm me. and i know there is a poultry show comming up in jax florida i think end of may sometime does anyone know for sure on time date and location?

i live in lawtey florida and i have a bunch of chicks to get rid of, if interested plz pm me. and i know there is a poultry show comming up in jax florida i think end of may sometime does anyone know for sure on time date and location?

Bent Creek Feed Store on the last Sunday of each month. . . . Here is the link....

There is very little shade there, so plan on getting there early. Also, bring a table, chair, etc.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-jacksonville-fla-info-here/720#post_11114716

Back
Top Bottom