FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

I think that is unusual...though I've only known 2 Wheaten roos (I own one splash wheaten) and my experience is that they're incredibly docile and take great care of the ladies...call them over for food and water, crows for hawks, even watchs them lay sometimes. I wanted one after reading good reviews since I have toddlers no nasty bird is worth the risk to me. Hope you figure it all out!

i've heard sometimes that it can go on a flock by flock basis.. they are currently in my grow out pen with a whole variety of other breeds (marans, leghorns and orpingtons) but they are definitely the most dominating, maybe when the others catch up in size it will help. I will be separating them out eventually, and only keeping two.

I have lost four birds, all of them over four months old. This last one was almost six months. Its just so puzzling because she was fine the night before (eating, drinking, demanding attention as usual) and then was gone by 8 AM the next day. I will look into getting some snake repellent, in case that is the problem. As far as the breeding, I have no idea- they are from Ideal Poultry and we've not had issues with other birds we've gotten from them. These guys have done great up until the last month or so, and we've lost four. One gold laced, one barred, one black, and now one blue. I'm so frustrated I was even wondering if someone was poisoning them one by one (having some issues with a used-to-be-friend out here, and thought maybe she was doing it) but there's no evidence of anyone having been back there and/or messing with anything. I'm just getting so paranoid LOL We had wanted to get barred and gold laced roos and a couple more hens of each, and begin breeding them because the DH has fallen in love with those two but I am NOT getting anything else until I find out what is going on. I am getting to the point where I almost dread going out to my pen and coop because I'm afraid I'll have lost another baby
hit.gif
And with one son being autistic- its traumatic for him to go out there and be the one to find out one is gone. Anyways- I'm gonna stop ranting and hijacking the thread, my apologies for taking it over. Thanks for the help, and hopefully I can figure something out.

I have lost four birds, all of them over four months old. This last one was almost six months. Its just so puzzling because she was fine the night before (eating, drinking, demanding attention as usual) and then was gone by 8 AM the next day.  I will look into getting some snake repellent, in case that is the problem. As far as the breeding, I have no idea- they are from Ideal Poultry and we've not had issues with other birds we've gotten from them.  These guys have done great up until the last month or so, and we've lost four. One gold laced, one barred, one black, and now one blue.  I'm so frustrated I was even wondering if someone was poisoning them one by one (having some issues with a used-to-be-friend out here, and thought maybe she was doing it) but there's no evidence of anyone having been back there and/or messing with anything. I'm just getting so paranoid LOL We had wanted to get barred and gold laced roos and a couple more hens of each, and begin breeding them because the DH has fallen in love with those two but I am NOT getting anything else until I find out what is going on.  I am getting to the point where I almost dread going out to my pen and coop because I'm afraid I'll have lost another baby :hit  And with one son being autistic- its traumatic for him to go out there and be the one to find out one is gone. Anyways- I'm gonna stop ranting and hijacking the thread, my apologies for taking it over. Thanks for the help, and hopefully I can figure something out.

Understandable. No need for apologies. I would be devastated also. I really hope you figure it out and can go back to enjoying your babies!

I have lost four birds, all of them over four months old. This last one was almost six months. Its just so puzzling because she was fine the night before (eating, drinking, demanding attention as usual) and then was gone by 8 AM the next day. I will look into getting some snake repellent, in case that is the problem. As far as the breeding, I have no idea- they are from Ideal Poultry and we've not had issues with other birds we've gotten from them. These guys have done great up until the last month or so, and we've lost four. One gold laced, one barred, one black, and now one blue. I'm so frustrated I was even wondering if someone was poisoning them one by one (having some issues with a used-to-be-friend out here, and thought maybe she was doing it) but there's no evidence of anyone having been back there and/or messing with anything. I'm just getting so paranoid LOL We had wanted to get barred and gold laced roos and a couple more hens of each, and begin breeding them because the DH has fallen in love with those two but I am NOT getting anything else until I find out what is going on. I am getting to the point where I almost dread going out to my pen and coop because I'm afraid I'll have lost another baby
hit.gif
And with one son being autistic- its traumatic for him to go out there and be the one to find out one is gone. Anyways- I'm gonna stop ranting and hijacking the thread, my apologies for taking it over. Thanks for the help, and hopefully I can figure something out.

I am so sorry. That is so awful for your son, he should not have something like that to deal with.

Also interesting, I just wrote a long letter to Ideal Poultry. I got 12 chicks from them 7 weeks ago and from day #1 I have had sickness. I also ordered 15 from another nursery. They have been brooded together, but every time illness starts it is with the Ideal chicks and spreads.

I have had pasty butt, swollen bare butts (posted onto another thread), coccidia, and now a respiratory infection. Most of my 7 week old chicks are "clicking" and I have spent a fortune on meds. Even though most of the chicks appear to be infected, the Ideal chicks are raggedy and nasty looking. The chicks from the other nursery still "look" decently healthy. One especially small chick has died. I also have 2 older Silver Sebrights (13 weeks) that are beautiful and I heard a clicking sound in them. They were separate but near the others.

I am just sick over this and tired of having one thing after another and I think it all came from the Ideal chicks.

If you have lost some younger birds say around 8 weeks old more of less. It could be coccidiosis (cocci). I have lost young birds to this. I have gone out to their pen to find a dead chick and can see no signs of anything wrong then maybe a few days later find another dead chick. The drugs on the market specifically made to treat cocci are Corid and Sulmet. I use Sulmet 12.5% (sulfamethazine) in the water 2 tablespoons per gallon of water for 3 to 5 days as their only source of drinking water. Sulmet is a good general purpose antibacterial. Corid is specifically for treating cocci.

Quote:
I am just sick over this and tired of having one thing after another and I think it all came from the Ideal chicks.

I have ordered chicks from Ideal Poultry in the past and have had great success with them and no loses. I'm sure all hatcheries must face this problem at one time or another. The symptoms you described, chicks that are raggedy and nasty looking, appears like a case of cocci. Coccidiosis in Chickens. Normally, most birds pass small numbers of oocysts in their droppings without apparent ill effects. Young chickens pick up the infection from contaminated premises (soil, houses, utensils, etc.). These premises may have been contaminated previously by other young infected birds or by adult birds that have recovered from the condition. Some birds are affected by it and other aren't. Wet areas around water fountains are a source of infection.
Oocysts remain viable in litter for many months. In this way, they can contaminate a farm from year to year. Oocysts are killed by freezing, extreme dryness and high temperatures. Most people who raise chicks have had cases of cocci at one time or another. I would try Sulmet in their drinking water. This is just my opinion.

Last edited:
IWe are in starke, does anyone in the area have any bantams? We are going to the bent creek farm swap on sunday this week as well. Just trying to find more bantams, we really love the small chickens.

I have ordered chicks from Ideal Poultry in the past and have had great success with them and no loses. I'm sure all hatcheries must face this problem at one time or another. The symptoms you described, chicks that are raggedy and nasty looking, appears like a case of cocci. Coccidiosis in Chickens. Normally, most birds pass small numbers of oocysts in their droppings without apparent ill effects. Young chickens pick up the infection from contaminated premises (soil, houses, utensils, etc.). These premises may have been contaminated previously by other young infected birds or by adult birds that have recovered from the condition. Some birds are affected by it and other aren't. Wet areas around water fountains are a source of infection.
Oocysts remain viable in litter for many months. In this way, they can contaminate a farm from year to year. Oocysts are killed by freezing, extreme dryness and high temperatures. Most people who raise chicks have had cases of cocci at one time or another. I would try Sulmet in their drinking water. This is just my opinion.
Thanks, I have gone through the Coccidiosis treatment and they appear to be recovered (at least no bloody poop). Oddly I have a group of 12 chicks from Ideal and 15 from Cackle and they have been brooded together. Seem that the Ideal chicks go from one thing to the next. Starting with dirty bottoms as new babies to Coccidiosis and now the respiratory problem.

The other chicks did not get pasty butts or show signs of Coccidiosis, but were treated. Unfortunately the respritory problem is spreading worse. You can look at this group of chicks and pick out the Ideal ones and the ones from Cackle. The difference is stunning. Maybe I just got the bad batch, but they are wearing me out.

I have a pic of one of the babies posted in another thread and no one ever even commented. It is pretty gross.

Thanks, I have gone through the Coccidiosis treatment and they appear to be recovered (at least no bloody poop). Oddly I have a group of 12 chicks from Ideal and 15 from Cackle and they have been brooded together. Seem that the Ideal chicks go from one thing to the next. Starting with dirty bottoms as new babies to Coccidiosis and now the respiratory problem. The other chicks did not get pasty butts or show signs of Coccidiosis, but were treated. Unfortunately the respritory problem is spreading worse. You can look at this group of chicks and pick out the Ideal ones and the ones from Cackle. The difference is stunning. Maybe I just got the bad batch, but they are wearing me out. I have a pic of one of the babies posted in another thread and no one ever even commented. It is pretty gross.
So sorry to hear that you're having trouble with you babies. I have 54 from Cackle right now who are 6 wks old. No problems with any of them. Have never ordered from Ideal. I agree though that with the number of chicks they hatch on a daily basis, all hatcheries must have breakouts at times. Doesn't make it any less devastating to the small chicken raiser though. Hope your babies pull through and turn out to be healthy little ones with a great immune system.

Back
Top Bottom