FLORIDA!!!!!ALWAYS SUNNY SIDE UP!!!

Ok Florida peeps- got a question about a predator I didn't think we'd ever have a problem with, and I'm not sure how to handle it...At my barn (yes, where we are having the swap tomorrow), we now have OTTERS that come onto the property at the front of the house and go into the pond (don't worry, the swap is being held at the back of the property)...2 days ago, btwn 10am and noon, they blindsided and killed 6 of our resident ducks that were wading or resting in the pond (I'm sorry to say that in the group killed was the beautiful little Khaki Campbell girl I got from Nava at the swap on April 2nd :*(
We are devastated, as the attack was caught on the homeowner's home surveillence camera...they thought it was otters, because the attack happened in the water, and the ducks were dragged partially onto shore...that's when the mini donkey studs we have up there to protect them came running, but weren't able to do anything
sad.png

Anyways, when I got there later in the afternoon (the homeowner wasn't home at the time, and was stuck at work), I secured the remaining ducks and geese into a large dog holding pen away from the pond, and made sure they weren't injured...at the time, I didn't see any signs of the otters still being there, until they returned later that evening around 9pm...there was one adult (presumable Mom), and 4 good sized pups...cute little buggers, but obviously they can't be there...we tried unsuccessfully to trap them (yes, i know they will tear us up, but I'm a CVT that works emergency, and have handled my share of wildlife, and I was so mad at the time I didn't care...I wanted them GONE...obviously I am able to type, meaning I didn't even come close to catching them because they escaped through the underside of the fence where it doesn't quite touch the ground and they or something appears to have dug under it...to be honest, even if that was fixed, they now know that our property is a "food source" and I'm sure they will be returning again and again...they can actually just go through the wrought iron gates in front of the pond if they wanted to :-/

Has anyone had to deal with otters before? If so, what did you do? Call FWC? Remove / eliminate them yourself? The eliminate part sounds harsh, but I'm not going to lie- it crossed my mind, but honestly I couldn't do it, because I know they are only doing what comes naturally...I just wish they would do it somewhere else
sad.png

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome! Not sure when I'll be moving to Brooksville, still getting the well, septic, etc. taken care of.
Thanks for the heads up on the quote, my Internet search credited Franklin. " I didn't fail the test, I just found 100 ways to do it wrong." was Franklin. I guess Edison later "personalized" it!
thumbsup.gif

I live in Hollister which is in Putnam County between Palatka and Interlachen
Have about 60 chickens Red Rhodes,Barred Rocks,White Wyandottes,Australorps and some crossed breeds
Sell eggs and baby chicks

K9ThorsMom

I would suggest a trapper. My brother in law had some in his pond and they were awful, ate all the fish in one summer. They ended up putting hardware cloth over the pipe that fed into it to remove the easy way of travel. He ended up getting a trapper to remove them.

Lucy Goosey is calming down, I spend time each afternoon sitting with her and every night I pick her up and carry her to bed. She has learned to enjoy scratches and relaxes now when held. I no longer have to hold her head when I pick her up either. So I think with more time she will be much calmer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is anyone on here interested in a really pretty Transylvannian Turken? He's 9 months old, solid black in color, with a red neck...really pretty bird...I met his current owner at my swap yesterday, but she couldn't stay for long...he was crowing up a storm too, so definitely a boy...I stupidly didn't get any pics of him....Anyways, if anyone is interested, please let me know and I will try to get back in touch with her...(she's not on here, though I did tell her about the site so maybe she will be soon)...

We are working on becoming fully registered and NPIP as well. Today the property was officially registered as a farm! Our application for game bird licensing is turned it now as well. This will allow us to keep wood ducks, quail ect here in FL. Any way, in my reading today I came across this info, that I thought might be of interest to others here in FL with poultry.

TALLAHASSEE – The Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services is currently monitoring a Virulent Exotic Newcastle Disease diagnosis which occurred in Cormorants in Pinellas County last week. Exotic Newcastle Disease is an extremely contagious and fatal foreign avian disease that affects most bird species but is not life threatening to humans. Human contact with Exotic Newcastle Disease may cause minor irritations such as pink eye or skin irritations.

Exotic Newcastle Disease is often spread from an infected bird to an uninfected bird in the same flock and could affect wild birds, domestic poultry and pet birds like parrots and parakeets. Agriculture Commissioner Adam Putnam encourages Floridians with pet birds or Floridians who visit aviary sanctuaries to be aware of the symptoms of Exotic Newcastle Disease. Often, birds with Exotic Newcastle Disease will exhibit coughing, muscular tremors, drooping wings, paralysis, swelling of tissue around the eyes or neck, and discharge from the eyes or beak.

It is not recommended that the public handle sick wildlife or other affected birds and if Floridians believe they see a bird with any of the above symptoms, they should contact the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, (850) 410-0900 or after hours, 1-800-342-5869, [email protected], or the USDA Area Office at (352) 333-3060 or [email protected].

The following tips will help prevent the spread of Exotic Newcastle Disease:

Restrict vehicle and foot traffic near your birds.
Disinfect shoes, clothing, hands, egg trays or flats, crates, vehicles, and tires, particularly after visiting other poultry farms or fairs, shows, and exhibits.
Buy birds from reputable dealers and ask for certification that birds are legally imported.
Keep new birds separated from the rest of the flock for at least 30 days.
Keep young and old birds, birds of different species and birds from different sources separated.
Keep records of all sales and shipments in case problems arise.
Additional information on Exotic Newcastle Disease can be found at www.freshfromflorida.com/ai/main/ani_diseases_main.shtml.

For
more information about the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services, visit www.FreshFromFlorida.com or follow Commissioner Putnam on Facebook, www.facebook.com/adamputnam, or Twitter, @adamputnam.

-30-​

Back
Top Bottom