FLORIDA is so Prehistoric!!!Bit by a SCORPION!!!OWIES!!!RANT

Holy cannoli, chickfillhay. I'm glad the super goop did the trick and you're alright. Close call! Doesn't sound like you were looking for trouble if you just stepped outside your door.
roll.png

I've lived in the FL my whole life and the low point of the experience was having a roach land on the back of my neck. EeeeeYUCK.
sickbyc.gif
The worst part was that this was at a fancy dinner. Didn't want to do the GETTHEROACHOFFAME!!! shimmy at the table... Thought I might just die instead.

Quote:
:| Yes I said I was BIT by a scorpion instead of stung. I was in alot of pain and not in the right frame of mind. I only wrote what came to mind.
I'm sorry you were stung, it does hurt. You can take the Saran wrap off, though...it doesn't do a thing for you.

The mudd was to draw out to poison, the Saran wrap was so the mudd would not get all over my sheets. (Little old lady who swallowed a fly) Worked like a charm though. You couldn't even tell I was stung.
frow.gif

Why did you move to Florida? The fact of the matter is, those animals were there long before any of us were. It is technically their home, and their territory. They don't have the capacity to think about the fact that you don't like them, so they should move away from you. In fact, they cannot move anywhere to get away from you, because people are constantly moving into their habitats. They have nowhere to go.

So, if you live where these animals are, you just have to learn to live with them and avoid problems.

I am sorry if I offended any Prehistoric animal activists out there. But it was just a rant. That's all. Lighten up! It was mostly about the pain! The fact is I DO understand they are in their habitat. (Except for alligator who will travel 50 miles away from its habitat to eat.)
I'm the lady that pulls over on the highway to move a turtle so it doesn't get hit by a car.
But when they are in MY habitat and if I think for a second they will hurt my kids, THEN ITS ON!
Although the animals have been here for a long long time. So have we. The way the wild kingdom sees it. They don't try to live with eachother they EAT eachother. There are no Activists in the animal kingdom. There is no chicken board that gets together every month to talk about a hawks unfair way of eating them alive. And they don't petition the Assembly of Hawks to at least kill before eating them.
WE are a part of the wild kingdom The difference is that we have opposing thumbs and can speak a human language. Animals speak animals. GET ALONG? I just don't want them to eat me! OR STING me!
LOVE​

Please do not go around calling me an activist when that's not at all accurate. I can't stand "activist" groups like PETA and similar. I don't understand why you are being so defensive towards my post, no one needs to take sides around here. You posted w hat you thought, I posted what I thought, and after several years of being a scorpion and other arachnid keeper and educator, I thought I would post something to maybe help you out. I realize that you are upset about what happened, but don't take my post as a personal attack. I'm just doing what I do, because I want as many people as possible to understand some of the creatures that I love a little better than perhaps they did before.​

Last edited:
The big black Emperor Scorpions are NOT gonna kill ya...because they have a weak venom compared to some of the others. Unless you're allergic.
They have those huge claws to snag their prey.

A few scorpion species, however, mostly in the family Buthidae, can be dangerous to humans. Among the most dangerous are Leiurus quinquestriatus, otherwise ominously known as the deathstalker, which has the most potent venom in the family, and members of the genera Parabuthus, Tityus, Centruroides, and especially Androctonus, which also have powerful venom. The scorpion which is responsible for the most human deaths is Androctonus australis, or the yellow fat-tailed scorpion, of North Africa.

There was a rule of thumb that I read...If it's got big claws, it's probably not too harmful, but if it has skinny, long claws, kiss your hiney buhbye.

That's part of the reason why I posted what I posted, SpottedCrow. No known fatalities have resulted from North American native scorpion species. I have kept Vaejovis(a few diff. species), Hadogenes troglodytes, Centruroides vittatus, Hadrurus arizonensis, Ophisthophalmus sp.(tricolor), and the impressive Heterometrus spinifer. We have Vaejovis and Hadrurus, Centruroides in some southern areas. Most of our scorpions will hurt just about as badly as a bee/wasp sting, and you will react similarly. Localized pain, tingling, swelling, etc. Centruroides will make you hurt BADLY, but they are not known to be fatal. In fact, I know people that have been stung by many of these species including Centruroides, and while it is certainly something to avoid, it's generally not potentially deadly.

Generally, the pinchers rule works, save for a few Southeast Asian exceptions. Of course, when you're dealing with very large, aggressive scorps such as Heterometrus spinifer, the mechanical damage of the huge claws and stinger alone kind of overshadow the effects of venom. :eek:

And, once you've been stung and invenomated by a scorp, there is absolutely nothing you can do to draw the venom out. But the time you get a cutting utensil, or something to draw the venom to the surface, even just a few seconds later, the venom is long gone in your tissues. Antihistamines are good for trying to lessen the swelling and pain, but beyond that, there is not much else that you can do at home.

Last edited:
Sparrow,

We are all friends here, or at least try to be. By starting out correcting chickfillhay
about being stung, rather than bitten, you sounded a bit condescending. You probably
didn't mean to be. Obviously you know these creatures well and have a lot of
info to offer.

Forums are a tough venue to express yourself on. No one here should take anything
personally.

PC

^^The friendly atmosphere here is one major part of the reason that I am so active on BYC. This place has a great feeling. I moderate a huge forum of kids/young adults daily, so I'm very used to conversing very, verrry carefully so as not to offend anyone. lol I just thought that I might be able to speak somewhat candidly here at times, since I think nearly everyone here is an adult. I apologize to anyone who I may have offended in my post.

I was honestly just trying to provide correct information for the situation by saying that scorpions do not bite. I see this as a very informative forum where I come to learn and share information. So, it was with that thought in mind that I made those comments.
smile.png

I just re-read this post and think that Chickfillhay needs to watch out for Sushi.
That darn cat acted like she didn't know the scorpion was there but DID SHE?
Hmmmm.

* Ah, well-- maybe the pythons will eat the scorpians, and the tarantulas, the iguanas, the cuban tree frogs, and everything else that isn't supposed to be here, but is, eh???

Back
Top Bottom