FLORIDA - Please list your City here That Allows Chickens!

Davie & Southwest Ranches, both towns are in Broward County. They allow chickens, but if the neighbors complain about the noise you may have a problem on your hand. Also - within Davie there are communities with association the do not allow chickens or any kind of livestock.
Good luck!

Unincorporated BREVARD COUNTY Florida does NOT allow CHICKENS. Per code (available on municode.com) ONE CHICKEN is allowed on property that is LESS THAN 2.5 acres and zoned RESIDENTIAL. Property that is zoned agricultural can have CHICKENS.
More information can be found on our website: www.avidhomestead.com including an article that addresses zoning classifications. We are working to allow chickens in Brevard County and know of others in Shreveport City, LA who are trying to do the same in the city limits.

Anyone who wishes to check out the website and see what we are doing is more than welcome to.

Well, my aunt lives in Forest Hills, and she looked around and it said you could have them, but they had to be confined to X amount of feet away from the edge of your property, and it was some rediculous amount.

Quote:
Same thing here. You must live near me lol. I think we were originally in Dinsmore but Jacksonville took it over to get taxes or something.
We have 3+ acres and supposedly can have roosters, horses, and whatever we want but one of our nieghbors keeps coming over here whining about he doesn't like the looks of the geese (we don't have geese they are muscovies lol) or he can't stand this or that. I told him if he didnt look or keep coming into our yard he wouldn't have to see them lol.
I really don't know why these kind of people move to zones deemed for animals when they hate them. Mine stay in my own yard and we have a larger property than they do too but he still complains. I try to be nice to keep the peace but he is really annoying. He thinks he is gonna change the zoning. I think he is gonna have a hard time because half the people on our street have horses, goats, roosters, guineas, etc.

Last edited:
Mine stay in my own yard and we have a larger property than they do too but he still complains. I try to be nice to keep the peace but he is really annoying. He thinks he is gonna change the zoning. I think he is gonna have a hard time because half the people on our street have horses, goats, roosters, guineas, etc.

Ditto here in unincorporated Brevard County, FL. We have 2 acres and the fella whose property is not adjacent to us is pulling this same crap. He wants to make this Rural Residential neighborhood just like a Condo Association where a board can tell you what color to paint your front door.

While he's talking and calling Code Enforcement on us we're working to change code to allow homesteading in the traditional sense - when did this get taken away from us?​

I don't know what the ordinance is for all of Pinellas, but with in the city of St. Pete you are allowed to have hens. I do not believe there is currently a limit. However, the law states that you have to get the approval from every house within 100 feet of your property line. Sort of a stupid law - and completely makes you feel like a 5 year old (though I did have some great conversations and met my neighbors). I mean seriously, can you imagine going door to door and asking your neighbors if you can get a puppy?

Back
Top Bottom