Florida welfare drug testing

Quote:
actually as a foster parent you don't want me to answer that question honestly
hmm.png
Boyd has had 19 kids through his house because of drugs in the past 6-8 years.... In other news...

Quote:
Actually, that's precisely what it means. You're authorizing the bank to search your life and make a judgment about whether you are worthy of their trust. You authorize a doctor you poke and prod you, gather your old records and poke and prod in those, and to make decisions about your body that you are not able (not trained for it) to do. You aren't required to follow the advice, and they can't broadcast your info... but it is still an authorization to invade your privacy.

In the welfare case I'd think it'd lean more towards the bank... your income is checked, your employment, your credit, your bank accounts, your utility payments, everything to determine whether you deserve their trust or not... and if you do NOT deserve their trust then you don't get it. They will not hand you money if they don't think you will follow the path they expect... paying the loan back.... or in the welfare case spending those food stamps on FOOD. If you test positive for drugs then the odds of that food money becoming drug money are higher... just as if your credit sucks the risk in giving you a loan are higher.

Before handing someone a bunch of cash you should check to make sure it'll be used for the purpose they claim it'll be used for. That's just common sense. But then, since when does the US Gov't use sense when making decisions about how to spend your paycheck and ours?
hmm.png

See? It all dissolves into shades of gray when you factor other things into it. There is no black and white when it comes to these types of things...not all welfare recipients are deadbeat, lazy, good for nothing, bad parents and druggies. Some are 76 years old and never held down a job outside of taking care of husband and children and now find theirselves having to get foodstamps to survive. Should they be held to the same standard? After their husband worked all his life to pay into that system is she now going to be treated like a criminal so she can eat?

I'd say it sounds great in theory but is still going to violate rights unless it is entirely random or if reports of drugs in the home have been made.

Quote:
if they've broken no laws then it should be no issue..

Last edited:
Quote:
Grocery store cashiers and baggers have to take drug tests. I don't see a public safety issue there.
Most jobs require drug testing prior to employment. The employee must also agree to submit to random testing if requested by the employer. Why should it be any different for those receiving welfare?

Before handing someone a bunch of cash you should check to make sure it'll be used for the purpose they claim it'll be used for.

I guess it will be just dandy if banks start mandatory drug testing before giving loans now .
wink.png

I'm on the fence as to whether I agree with the testing or not...that said, I think this is a pointless effort to fix a broken system. IMHO, the real problem is folk who apply for these benefits and qualify on paper when in reality they are not indigent. It is very easy to work the system. I have known many people who have gotten benefits fraudulently. The worst case is a woman whos boyfriend I do work for sometimes. They live in a very $$$ part of town, have a 3 cars - including a BMW, giant salt water tanks (they pay for them to be serviced weekly), she travels 3-4 times a year overseas and does not work. On paper she has no job or assets and is living at the mercy of her "boyfriend" (they dont marry so she can collect benefits) - so she qualifies. This woman even gets church groups to pay for her electricity bills!!! And when people like this are reported, there is not the man power to go and investigate them to the extent needed to disqualify them. Anyway, its people like her that I think are the real problem.

My 2

You guys DO realize that nearly ALL nursing home patients have Medicaid as their primary insurance, with Medicare as secondary? That would mean that all 120 patients in these places would be required to have mandatory drug testing each period when their cases come due and all their prescription drugs would have to be listed, many would have to be straight cathed as they can no longer pee in a cup and it would have to be done in the prescribed method. If they failed, they would then have to produce a sample while being observed by a doctor.

I can see that going over like a lead balloon....
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom