FlowHive?

Jenwillis12

Hatching
Apr 16, 2020
Has anyone purchased or had experience with a flowhive? I’ve been looking into getting a small hive for my property and this system seems very self contained and easy compared to traditional beekeeping ... just wanting to make sure I’m not missing something before I jump into the deep end 😅

Has anyone purchased or had experience with a flowhive? I’ve been looking into getting a small hive for my property and this system seems very self contained and easy compared to traditional beekeeping ... just wanting to make sure I’m not missing something before I jump into the deep end 😅
Ask yourself why none of the major hive suppliers even list the flow hive. My opinion is that it is a scam to rip off unsuspecting new bee owners.

Ask yourself why none of the major hive suppliers even list the flow hive. My opinion is that it is a scam to rip off unsuspecting new bee owners.

Well Sir, actually,
It’s fairly new technology #1
2. It deviates from traditional beekeeping techniques that is advertised and demonstrated ...
And 3 this system would probably be the equivalent to owning a John Deere ... it’s not gonna take just anybody’s parts so why would all the suppliers take their time to market it up?? They wouldn’t 😑🤦🏽‍♀️

I actually asked if anyone used it and had experience with it.

Well Sir, actually,
It’s fairly new technology #1
2. It deviates from traditional beekeeping techniques that is advertised and demonstrated ...
And 3 this system would probably be the equivalent to owning a John Deere ... it’s not gonna take just anybody’s parts so why would all the suppliers take their time to market it up?? They wouldn’t 😑🤦🏽‍♀️

I actually asked if anyone used it and had experience with it.
Based on everything I found out about it, I would not waste any money on it.

You are welcome to spend your money any way that you want to.

I've done a lot of research on the Flowhive. I do think that it has its merits and is worth considering if you can save up the money for it and are ok with putting the whole thing together yourself (they come completely unassembled). The thing that is easier is the honey extraction itself. But the upkeep and maintenance of the hive will be pretty much the same as a regular hive, with the same learning curve and potential issues with mites and CCD. It's new technology, and is quite expensive, so people are naturally leery, but I do think it's the real deal. I decided against it due to cost and the fact it doesn't come fully assembled.

I've done a lot of research on the Flowhive. I do think that it has its merits and is worth considering if you can save up the money for it and are ok with putting the whole thing together yourself (they come completely unassembled). The thing that is easier is the honey extraction itself. But the upkeep and maintenance of the hive will be pretty much the same as a regular hive, with the same learning curve and potential issues with mites and CCD. It's new technology, and is quite expensive, so people are naturally leery, but I do think it's the real deal. I decided against it due to cost and the fact it doesn't come fully assembled.
Thank you ! I’ve read the same things about upkeep. Did not know about assembly but 🤷🏽‍♀️ I’m good at puzzles. I think I really like the idea of being able to see into the hive even minutely and the ease of extraction so I’m still leaning that way for the fall :) I appreciate your insight!

This guy, Taras Kul, did an unpacking video of the Flowhive, so that's how I know they don't come assembled:
That was then though. Maybe you can purchase them now fully built for extra money.

I'm curious too. I asked someone doing an educational program at the local nature center about them, when they were pretty brand new, she was very dismissive. Her main concern, at that time was that it was developed in New Zealand. She was concerned the design would not hold up well against our harsh winters. I wonder if there have been any changes since then, or other ways to add it yourself, to provide increased insulation even if only used seasonally.

Back
Top Bottom