Fluffy chick from yesterday is pecking chick that hatched today?

-Olive-

Songster
Jun 7, 2022
GB
I’m brand new to raising chicks so I have no clue if this is normal. I had eight eggs but only two have hatched (so far). (to be fair they weren’t supposed to be for hatching so werent stored right for a while). The problem is one chick hatched yesterday and another hatched today. I tried to leave him in the incubator to dry up for a few hours but I’ve moved him to the brooder box to continue to fluff up. Problem is yesterday’s chick is really going for him, biting onto him and making him cry :(

is this normal? Is it because today’s chick is still crusty from the egg? do you think it will stop once he’s fluffy?

sorry if this is silly but I’m so new to this and tried googling it first.

It is normal for them to explore their world by pecking. The other chick is an interesting part of that world. As long as the younger is not bleeding or other wise being injured leave them together.

It is normal for them to explore their world by pecking. The other chick is an interesting part of that world. As long as the younger is not bleeding or other wise being injured leave them together.
Thank you. He keeps pecking his eye.

Attachments

• A61813C1-97D5-44E9-9813-1F7414AFD81D.jpeg
    A61813C1-97D5-44E9-9813-1F7414AFD81D.jpeg
    322.3 KB · Views: 7
They’re doing really well together now! Thanks for your advice. I’m so glad there’s two of them (it was lucky we even got one tbh as the eggs were old and some were in the fridge). The darker/day older chick seems a lot more content with a brood mate now :)

Back
Top Bottom