flying at less than 2 weeks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 4urbanchicks, May 21, 2010.

1. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    our 3 pullets are already flying to the top of the brooder! I thought they were not supposed to be able to do that until they were 4 weeks or so? We added a wire lid to our plastic brooder, and now I am glad we did! When I am cleaning out the brooder, they sometimes fly to the top of the box and perch there, and I have to quick grab them before they end up running away into no mans land in our garage!

2. hot_house_chicken

hot_house_chicken Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Winnie, Tx (Far S.E. Tx)
    what breed are they ?

3. ryanhodapp

ryanhodapp Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    St. Louis
    I have 5 EAster Eggers and 3 could fly at 2 1/2 weeks.

4. sandiatonimarie

sandiatonimarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2009
    I have nine wyandottes and they were all flying at 2 and 3 weeks old. I was shocked when one flew straight up and out of the brooder while I was cleaning it when they were about 2 weeks old. Fortunately, the chick was so surprised to find herself out of the brooder, i was able to grab her and put her back but yeah, they definitely can fly at that age.

Mine are about 13 weeks old now and they are still flying a little but it seems like as they get older and heavier they aren't as good at flying. I havent clipped their wings and don't plan to. So mine can fly up into a tree or something that was about 5 or 6 feet off the ground with no problem.

5. 4urbanchicks

4urbanchicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2010
    Quote:barred rock, ameraucana and welsummer. the barred rock and welsummer have been the flyers so far!

6. Littletonchicks

Littletonchicks Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2010
    Mine are just two weeks and they are doing the same thing. I open the lid and they all fly out! I have amberlinks, golden comets and rhode island reds.

7. fratermus

fratermus Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2010
    Point, Rains county, Tx
    My chicks are about 10 days old and have started flapping-assisted-jumping to the top of the brooder. We fashioned a lid out of chicken wire from the chicken ark project. They can bounce off it if they want. :)

They also love to perch on our hands now. Will try adding a perch to the brooder if I can figure out the logistics.

8. MareeZoCool

MareeZoCool Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Aren't baby chickens just the MOST amazing little critters? They learn so fast! I just adore them![​IMG]

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    My 2 wk old buff orpingtons pullets and silver laced wyandott roos can fly about 3 ft. I guess thats what I get for letting them play in the yard; strength and agility! I just love watching them...

10. Mrs. Feathers

Mrs. Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    My husband was shocked on day when he was working from home....heard despirate peeping....ran in to check the then 8 day old australorp chicks and one of them had flapped up and out of the 28 inch high brooder. The wire top went on that night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by