flying away?

Stoney22

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 7, 2011
new hampshire
Will my domestic mallard and pekins fly away? They have never been around wild ducks or see ducks fly but the last two weeks they have really been trying hard to fly. The big pekin hen jumps in the air ands flaps like mad but can't really do anything, but im worried when flight feather fully come in they will fly off to the river to be wight heir wild compares, am I crazy? Idw to coop them up but idw then flying the coop either.

The pekins will not be able to fly and the mallards depending upon how many generations of captive breeding will probably hang around although they will become airborne. If any of them gain access to the river there is always the possibility they will revert to their wild ways.

Quote:
The Pekins will NOT fly away, they are a heavy breed of duck. The mallards will most likely not fly away but depends on the duck and how much it is bonded with you and the pekins. I had a pair of Mallards with a pair of Runners, the mallards would take off and fly around our property then come back and land with the runners. My mallards didn't like us very much but loved the runners (they grew up with them).

Again, depends on the bird.

Quote:
Blue Swedes are also a heavy breed of duck, they are a meat bird, so no they will not fly away. I have never owned a Cayuga and don't know how big they are but most domesticated ducks (other than Mallard and Muscovy) are poor flyers. They can get a few feet of the ground but that's it.

Your mallards most likely will fly off. Mine sometimes get out and fly around the yard scaring the crap out of me. To make sure they don't fly off you may want to put wire over their pen or have someone experienced in wing clipping clip their wings. Your Pekins on the other hand are too big too fly.

Hi, I was given a pair of beautiful Mallards in April this year. I was told they could fly but wouldn't because they become attached to their 'home'. NOT TRUE. Mine seemed perfectly happy and content (or so I thought). Then two weeks after I got them I woke one morning and they were both gone. My neighbour said he saw them fly over the tree tops at 5.30am. I posted signs everywhere I was lucky that someone down the street found one of them in a local stream. We caught her and brought her home but we never found the other one. I was heartbroken.

I clipped her wings and she's been a homebody ever since. I'm getting her a boyfriend this week and his wings will be clipped too. I love them too much to take that risk again.

Back
Top Bottom