Foamy eye

jgiajnorio

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 4, 2011
My male Muscovy has a white foam that seems to be showing up in the corner of his eye(s). He doesn't have it all the time, sometimes it's in one eye, sometimes both. I have seen it in the hen once in a blue moon. Any ideas?

Foamy eye is the beginning of an infection, if I understand correctly. Is there a way he can get to a relatively clean (I understand, I have ducks) pot of water where he can wash his head?

You may need to get him aside and give him a small pot of water with a few tablespoons of apple cider vinegar in it. Drop some peas or other treats that will sink into the water to encourage him to dive in.

Veterycin also makes an eye ointment, and a spray you can use. Even a mild saline solution might help.

Yes, it happens, likely they have something in it or didn't wash it out well enough. I have not had any of it ever turn into an infection here, usually it clears up on it's own, that said one can wipe it if you can catch the bird lol

Mine all have access to water, actually they could rival an ocean but i find spring and fall seem to be the worst, i think because of the dirt, rains/snows etc.. a lot to get in the eye.

Back
Top Bottom