Fog-mud in pens

Kajoda929

Songster
Apr 27, 2020
Central California
For those that don't have grass...How do you keep pens dry when there is constant fog? I have no clue what to do at this point...They're all ok right now, but their tails look horrible and their feet are always muddy...I was told that can cause bumblefoot? I don't know for sure, but I don't know how to keep it dry when nature is the issue...

I have a roof on my run. I also built my run on top of cinder/concrete blocks so that the wood lasts longer, I then filled in my run with dirt and sand so that it is higher inside the run than outside the run.

I'm not sure what you mean by litter...It's my yard...The ground?

Generally you'd put down some form of litter/substrate in both coop and run to absorb poop. Some folks do leave the run bare but it can make it harder to clean up, and doesn't control mud or stabilize the soil, or manage odors.

Most popular options are sand and deep litter method: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/deep-litter-method.70/ - the appropriate choice would depend on things like your poop management style, available materials, drainage/dampness issues, etc.

I use deep litter because I get a lot of rain and my run is unroofed, so it helps stabilize the soil and provides drainage. I harvest wood chips off from tree branches, along with dried leaves, dried grass, garden and weed trimmings. I used to have a massive mud problem to the point that the thick mud was pulling the boots off my feet. Now there's no mud or bad odor even after lots of rain.

These chicks have no issue walking on the run floor after a heavy night of rain. The grass outside had large puddles, but not in the run.

litter.jpg

I u
For those that don't have grass...How do you keep pens dry when there is constant fog? I have no clue what to do at this point...They're all ok right now, but their tails look horrible and their feet are always muddy...I was told that can cause bumblefoot? I don't know for sure, but I don't know how to keep it dry when nature is the issue...
I used to have a mega muddy run. Turns out it was the location. I moved about 20ft to the right onto more humousy soil and it really isn't that muddy. Part of my run is also covered with a tarp. Also, the run has lots of ivy and leaves and sticks to make it less muddy (kinda like deep litter method).
You could put down woodchip too.

I'm not sure what you mean by litter...It's my yard...The ground?
So you don't have an enclosed run...they just free range wherever they want to go?
Some pics of the area would help here.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
full

full

So you don't have an enclosed run...they just free range wherever they want to go?
Some pics of the area would help here.

- My runs have semi-deep litter(cold composting), never clean anything out, just add smaller dry materials on occasion, add larger wood chippings as needed.
full

full
Mine is similar. Sticks, leaves and some plants (eg ivy and some ferns).
Also wondering how secure your run is? The wire has pretty big gaps :)

Back
Top Bottom