FOGHORN LEGHORN~ "Lookit here son, I say, I say son, did ya see that hawk after those hens? ....

I feel for Stake or Sally because the mountains of Central Pa. curve East creating a kind of vortex from the wind.
These vortexes' benefits are not lost on America's hawks who use them to reduce the effort needed to gain altitude or soar to high altitudes before striking out across country and glide without needing to flap their wings. So twice each year (Early Fall and again in late Winter) Central Pennsylvania becomes hawk central. Foghorn Leghorn's little feathered friend, Henry the Chicken Hawk will confirm this, don't take my word for it.

Not only is it illegal to kill a hawk it is also illegal to harass one. So you best not say BOO! to loud at a hawk or you may be making little ones out of big ones on top of Uncle Sugar's rock pile.

By The Way, Yesterday I saw my first DHLS drone overhead. I doubt in my mind that this drone was tasked with finding chicken killing hawks as much as its operator was interested in citizens like us taking Vice President Joe Beiden's advice and loosing a couple of shotgun blast skyward to scare away danger.

Here is some sage advise from a 60+ year chicken veteran who has been there and seen it. If you decide to install an owl pole like the one shown with a hot wire and a ground wire running across the top,

DO NOT INSTALL IT WHERE IT CAN BE SEEN AT ANY TIME FROM THE HIGHWAY OR FROM THE PROPERTY OF PAIN IN THE NECK NEIGHBORS.

This dodge worked until the Game Wardens caught on. For 20 years they were still looking for a steel trap set on top of a pole and targeted at owls. The game wardens didn't realize that some backyard chicken fanciers had 240 volts of electricity running to the perch.

The design shown will shock or kill every song bird that decides to stop and rest a spell to favor you with a song. Leave about three to four inches between the end of the ground wire and the start of the hot wire. That way a mocking bird or other small bird will only have one foot on a wire and the other foot off. It then requires both feet of a small bird to complete the circuit, something that is unlikely, larger birds will not be so lucky. It will work like a Swiss watch on owls but I have never seen it work on hawks, but there is always a first time.

I think it's possible that the purple martins may have kept it away, but hard to tell since I keep the net up in summer. Those purple martins sure can get aggressive though. I was in the barn an afternoon last summer and that mama bird decided she didn't want me in the aisleway. Nearly took my head off
hide.gif
chirping and dive bombing me. Geez! I do not have a rooster. I raised a lovely barred rock rooster and he turned real nasty after a year, gave me a huge cut on the back of my leg one day while collecting eggs. I have small children (4 & 2 at the time), so the rooster had to go. I have 3 Pekins, 3 Mallards and 6 Khaki Campbell ducks. Stinky, messy ducks, but we love them and their delicious eggs :)

Had my first hawk scare the other week, my roo held his ground and chased him off after his dive missed. We've since covered the run but see the Cooper's hawks (there are 3 of em) circling or up in the pine tree occassionally. :/ so far so good though! No free range for a bit

This is a really interesting thread....I am a suburban newbie; but; its seems to me that if I cannot have roo protection, then my run needs to be enclosed....and I can set up some deterrents (mylar) to discourage an attack by hawk, fox or other when the girls range the back yard. My pooches will run off ground attack but they aren't useful against an 'air assualt'...

Also, hawks are predators like fox etc. They are just doing their thing and trying to get by. I am surprised that the hawks failed to migrate had harassed 'HisChicks' flock through the winter....I suspect if they are driven off they will leave and if they are successful they will stay....humm

Does anybody think the garden deer chaser...motion detector/ water hose/ spray the intruder would work....how to spray a hawk and not the chickens(or other birds flying through).....

In case you're wondering, I have no problem hunting but I really resist the 'shoot on site' mentality....

I feel for Stake or Sally because the mountains of Central Pa. curve East creating a kind of vortex from the wind.
These vortexes' benefits are not lost on America's hawks who use them to reduce the effort needed to gain altitude or soar to high altitudes before striking out across country and glide without needing to flap their wings. So twice each year (Early Fall and again in late Winter) Central Pennsylvania becomes hawk central. Foghorn Leghorn's little feathered friend, Henry the Chicken Hawk will confirm this, don't take my word for it.

Not only is it illegal to kill a hawk it is also illegal to harass one. So you best not say BOO! to loud at a hawk or you may be making little ones out of big ones on top of Uncle Sugar's rock pile.

By The Way, Yesterday I saw my first DHLS drone overhead. I doubt in my mind that this drone was tasked with finding chicken killing hawks as much as its operator was interested in citizens like us taking Vice President Joe Beiden's advice and loosing a couple of shotgun blast skyward to scare away danger.

Here is some sage advise from a 60+ year chicken veteran who has been there and seen it. If you decide to install an owl pole like the one shown with a hot wire and a ground wire running across the top,

DO NOT INSTALL IT WHERE IT CAN BE SEEN AT ANY TIME FROM THE HIGHWAY OR FROM THE PROPERTY OF PAIN IN THE NECK NEIGHBORS.

This dodge worked until the Game Wardens caught on. For 20 years they were still looking for a steel trap set on top of a pole and targeted at owls. The game wardens didn't realize that some backyard chicken fanciers had 240 volts of electricity running to the perch.

The design shown will shock or kill every song bird that decides to stop and rest a spell to favor you with a song. Leave about three to four inches between the end of the ground wire and the start of the hot wire. That way a mocking bird or other small bird will only have one foot on a wire and the other foot off. It then requires both feet of a small bird to complete the circuit, something that is unlikely, larger birds will not be so lucky. It will work like a Swiss watch on owls but I have never seen it work on hawks, but there is always a first time.
frow.gif
Interesting! Great points made! and are you serious about the drone? I would love to hear more on that one!

I think it's possible that the purple martins may have kept it away, but hard to tell since I keep the net up in summer. Those purple martins sure can get aggressive though. I was in the barn an afternoon last summer and that mama bird decided she didn't want me in the aisleway. Nearly took my head off
hide.gif
chirping and dive bombing me. Geez! I do not have a rooster. I raised a lovely barred rock rooster and he turned real nasty after a year, gave me a huge cut on the back of my leg one day while collecting eggs. I have small children (4 & 2 at the time), so the rooster had to go. I have 3 Pekins, 3 Mallards and 6 Khaki Campbell ducks. Stinky, messy ducks, but we love them and their delicious eggs :)
Have you thought of getting another roo? Not all roos are evil
hu.gif

I just hatched Ancona ducks! I love the little things! except they are almost grown at 2 months!!! A MA ZING!!

Had my first hawk scare the other week, my roo held his ground and chased him off after his dive missed. We've since covered the run but see the Cooper's hawks (there are 3 of em) circling or up in the pine tree occassionally.
hmm.png
so far so good though! No free range for a bit
Kiomey what kind of roo do you have? The one we saw last night seemed to like the tall pines here even in the woods! If it wasnt for the sunset on the tops of the trees It would have blended in perfectly that stinker!

This is a really interesting thread....I am a suburban newbie; but; its seems to me that if I cannot have roo protection, then my run needs to be enclosed....and I can set up some deterrents (mylar) to discourage an attack by hawk, fox or other when the girls range the back yard. My pooches will run off ground attack but they aren't useful against an 'air assualt'...

Also, hawks are predators like fox etc. They are just doing their thing and trying to get by. I am surprised that the hawks failed to migrate had harassed 'HisChicks' flock through the winter....I suspect if they are driven off they will leave and if they are successful they will stay....humm

Does anybody think the garden deer chaser...motion detector/ water hose/ spray the intruder would work....how to spray a hawk and not the chickens(or other birds flying through).....

In case you're wondering, I have no problem hunting but I really resist the 'shoot on site' mentality....
Can you post some of those deer deterrents? I don't know what they are because we never had issues with them, only issues were trying to find them during hunting season
lau.gif

Sally:

Just hang an orange vest in your backyard. They're gone....In my neighborhood they don't even raise their white tails when my dogs alert...they just mosey off....I'm afraid to plant tulips,,,,some doe would kick my pooches tucas.....

Kiomey what kind of roo do you have? The one we saw last night seemed to like the tall pines here even in the woods! If it wasnt for the sunset on the tops of the trees It would have blended in perfectly that stinker!

I have a EE room named Cortez lol. We used to have a major red tail problem but then the brush grew back up and the Cooper's moved in :/ they're the avian predators cuz they use ambush tactics like hiding and darting through trees and brush and red tails like wide open spaces ^^; we've got a pair of great horn owls, a few eastern screech owls and I keep spotting a barn owl at my neighbors barn :idunno
Lot of predators round me I guess.

Back
Top Bottom