Follow up on broody-izing a hen

nao57

Crowing
Mar 28, 2020
Wanted to double check on this...

I don't live in a golf state. Its sort of a baseball state.

Any chance baseballs will work in place of golf balls, in place of eggs, in making hens go broody?

And forgot to ask and maybe this is silly but is there any chance there could be problems if the ducks or hens see you put them in the nest? (A lot of posts seemed to be saying you'd sneak the golf balls in the nest box at night.)

Perhaps I should say 'influence' or 'help her along', in regards to going broody.

Wanted to double check on this...

I don't live in a golf state. Its sort of a baseball state.

Any chance baseballs will work in place of golf balls, in place of eggs, in making hens go broody?

And forgot to ask and maybe this is silly but is there any chance there could be problems if the ducks or hens see you put them in the nest? (A lot of posts seemed to be saying you'd sneak the golf balls in the nest box at night.)
I dont know about using baseballs... thats really big compared to an egg. There are some fake eggs you could create yourself, or buy them off amazon.

No golf balls anywhere?
Go pick up some plastic Easter eggs from the dollar store, fill with sand, and glue closed.
No, it will not matter if your hens see you do it, and NO they are not going to notice the neon colors.
I always keep 3 golf balls in each nest box to encourage my hens to lay there eggs in the right place.
Also fake eggs are a much better choice (apposed to fresh eggs)to leave in the nest for a broody early on in her broodyness. (While you determine if she is dedicated or not).
YES, left in the nest these may encourage broodyness also.
Some hens never go broody. It can not be forced, only encouraged.

Last edited:
No golf balls anywhere?
Go pick up some plastic Easter eggs from the dollar store, fill with sand, and glue closed.
No, it will not matter if your hens see you do it, and NO they are not going to notice the neon colors.
I always keep 3 golf balls in each nest box to encourage my hens to lay there eggs in the right place.
Also fake eggs are a much better choice (apposed to fresh eggs)to leave in the nest for a broody early on in her broodyness. (While you determine if she is dedicated or not).
YES, left in the nest these may encourage broodyness also.
Some hens never go broody. It can not be forced, only encouraged.
I hadn't realized people also screen for dedication in which hens get the eggs?

Not all breeds go broody, many never do. What kind(s) do you have? A determined broody will sit on nothing at all.....

Like others have said, you can’t make a hen go broody. What breed hen do you have? Some are more broody than others. Silkies and Cochins are a great choice as they go broody quite often.

Back
Top Bottom