~The Broody Thread~

This was my broody OE last year, it was smoking hot but she hatched 5 healthy littles. I now have a broody English Orpington, she's taking good care of herself, gets off the nest at the hottest part of the day to do her business, I'm keeping the eggs in the incubator until they pip then transferring them to her

Attachments

• 20220708_164514.jpg
    20220708_164514.jpg
    855.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220723_092011.jpg
    20220723_092011.jpg
    875.5 KB · Views: 5
Yes she has company- another broody! They went broody 2 days ago at the same time. Theyre buds , they dont fight. I got hold of a closed in dog crate w a wire bottom and put them both in the coop w it raised on bricks. But during the day I lock them in the coop run w no coop access until the other hens are done laying, then I let them rejoin the flock free range w the coop locked up. I guess I need to keep them in jail during thw day too🥺😢
Yes you do. Like 24/7 for 3 days. If it breaks them hooray! If not, they go to jail 3 more days. Food and water is all they get. Oh the discomforts of jail, hahaha!

"Mercedes" hahaha name of one my main characters in my 3rd novel coming in Sept. LOLOL.

Sorry - I have a few broody hens as well. The hens go into the coop to lay eggs over the period of half a day (we have 10 hens and 6 boxes, now 2 broody hens). Driving us crazy. We close it up at 1:30 when the rest are done and they march around the run/coop entrance blowing their trumpets waiting for the walls of Jericho to fall.
Oh my, poor girls! Have you considered putting the broodies in jail so as to not make everyone else uncomfortable while the broodies get broken? I know some of my ladies lay late in the day.

What is your novel about?

I have a BO that gets broody about once a month. She'll be in jail for 3 days, then okay to join the rest of the flock. Then in a month or so, gotta do it again. She's about a year old. This started in the spring so we're on our third round of this. Is that just the way she is, or am I not breaking her "enough"?

I have a BO that gets broody about once a month. She'll be in jail for 3 days, then okay to join the rest of the flock. Then in a month or so, gotta do it again. She's about a year old. This started in the spring so we're on our third round of this. Is that just the way she is, or am I not breaking her "enough"?
If she waits a month until she goes again, it's just her.
Have a couple that do that.

My breaking broody process is I toss the broody out the backside of my coop/run where has woods to forage, food and water but can't get in the Run or Coop. At lockup time she's pretty frantic to get in, I let her in and make her go to a roost bar instead of next box. It usually only takes 2-3 days. But I have a BO that is just consistently broody, like every other month, so determined to be a momma which is impossible I don't have a Rooster. And I'm not going to just let her make chicks to make her happy, I like my new chick process which does not include her. SO I hate to get even tougher on her but... :idunno
I think i am going to try your technique for my broody cochin and see how it goes. Have 3 broody hens and so tired of dealing with it. Let a few go broody before and now have too many hens and roosters. About to try to find good homes for some, which is stressful because i get attached to them.

Back
Top Bottom