Following a Free-range Chicken from Roost in Morning to Roost at Night

Interesting!
Will y'all take into account the observers impact on the birds behaviors?
We discussed that at length yesterday evening. Impact reduced by not carrying buckets around. When no bucket, birds largely ignore us unless I call them. Shortly, I will begin mowing and that may impact things. The target birds are ignoring student currently. The subgroups are well dispersed around yard.

Biggest game changer really is the weather. This September has been much warmer than average, almost 20 F warmer. That really impacts what the birds are doing, especially when temperatures get up into 90's.

This whole trial is get preliminary data more on what behaviors are done and a loose idea on how much they move about. I hope to get tracking devices down the road so multiple birds can be followed remotely 24/7. We are doing this only on weekends.

Data may still be spot on for some backyard poultry keepers when they have a larger backyard like mine.

One more point. We are not feeding these birds at all. They are rustling up grub only by foraging. Based on what I have seen on this site, most parties will not be able to match that. I take forage management and flock size management serious. LATER feeding stations will be armed in AM. Only about 20 birds are being effected by this. This balance are being fed as usual. The fed birds and study birds do not have overlapping home ranges.

Last edited:
The dog needs a "Lab" preferably a chocolate one. At night we rename ours to "Midnight" from her real name "Emma" she just disappears into any shadow.
I went out of my way to get her because she has some white on her. The other dogs are even harder to see in the dark. Most of I time I consider where dogs are is after dark. Barking only gets me into general area as to where they are located. Chickens generally ignore the dogs.

I am curious as an aside
One more point. We are not feeding these birds at all. They are rustling up grub only by foraging. Based on what I have seen on this site, most parties will not be able to match that. I take forage management and flock size management serious. LATER feeding stations will be armed in AM. Only about 20 birds are being effected by this. This balance are being fed as usual. The fed birds and study birds do not have overlapping home ranges.
I am curious as an aside, how many birds per acre for forage, and have you planted any chicken specific crops such as https://www.naturesseed.com/pasture-seed/poultry-pastures/ offers for sale? I was considering putting in around a quarter acre of this stuff myself. I currently have 5 birds foraging one acre.

Last edited:
I am curious as an aside

I am curious as an aside, how many birds per acre for forage, and have you planted any chicken specific crops such as https://www.naturesseed.com/pasture-seed/poultry-pastures/ offers for sale? I was considering putting in around a quarter acre of this stuff myself. I currently have 5 birds foraging one acre.
I have a lot of edge areas between short cropped grass and larger plants ranging from 16" forbes to 40 feet trees. A lot of Persimmon trees are also involved and they are producing fruit falling to ground. The birds are moving freely back and forth between trees and pasture. Area being foraged is now approaching 6 acres with 22 chickens moving about freely plus seven 5 week old chicks that have access to a creep feeder keeping them in tight. The math is 22 birds / 6 acres = 3.7 birds per acre. If not for Persimmons supplying energy, they would be foraging a further although following fence rows and roadways where cover and eats are concentrated. Student is have fun trying to track the birds as they move back and forth between open and wooded areas. The loafing time is much less than what you would see when feed supplied, especially when offered free-choice.

Student instructed to watch closely for predator action. Hawks in particular are about as the songbirds are flocking up. Student got to watch how a mixed flock of starlings and black birds rolled about nearly 1/4 mile away. She never appreciated before how the songbirds had to adjust movement patterns when flocking up.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom