Food all Crushed?!

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
3 month old silkies and 1 polish
I've been feeding them this either 20% or 16% whatever they have in stock...but just bought this very bag.
Opened it up and it is all crushed down to dust!?!
Is it supposed to be that way? Is there something I can do with a 50 lb bag of it?! Will they even eat it? Can they eat it?
First bag that has been completely crushed down to dust.
Screenshot_20210728-192429_Google.jpg

Yes, it's useable... but, what happened to make it that way? Or was it the end of the run, and it's all the fines? It must be different than what you have gotten before, or you wouldn't have noticed.

I would take it back. You should be able get a refund.
It's a brand new bag just opened today...so idk why it's that way.
Only difference in what I've bought before is 16% vs 20%...otherwise same exact everything.

Only difference in what I've bought before is 16% vs 20%...otherwise same exact everything
If you've been buying "pellets" and this is "crumble" or "mash," it will look different. It's three different forms of feed. Pellets are, well, pellets. Crumble is pellets that are broken up. Mash is powdery.

Chick starter and grower are often (usually?) sold as crumble, as the little birds have smaller, weaker beaks, and can't eat the bigger pellets.

My chicks like crumble. My adults get an All Flock that is crumble as well, as it's the only organic 20% I can find locally. The adults like the bigger pieces. When there are just fines left in the bowl, I dump those into a container and use that for their treat, which is the fines wetted into a wet mash.

I always buy the same feed every time, yet every time it looks a little different. Sometimes it’s ground finer, sometimes coarser, sometimes it’s a lighter color, sometimes darker, or it smells different. It’s less uniform and consistent than human food. Sounds like maybe you got a bag that had more of the finer particles in it. You can try to return it for a refund, or you can feed it in the form of a wet mash - wet it to a clumpy consistency, and feed only as much as the chickens can finish in one day (don’t let it sit overnight, as it can mold). Chickens love wet feed!

Back
Top Bottom