Food all Crushed?!

I always buy the same feed every time, yet every time it looks a little different. Sometimes it’s ground finer, sometimes coarser, sometimes it’s a lighter color, sometimes darker, or it smells different. It’s less uniform and consistent than human food. Sounds like maybe you got a bag that had more of the finer particles in it. You can try to return it for a refund, or you can feed it in the form of a wet mash - wet it to a clumpy consistency, and feed only as much as the chickens can finish in one day (don’t let it sit overnight, as it can mold). Chickens love wet feed!
Maybe if I had more than 4 chicks yeah...but I'd be doing that for months with 50 lbs of food.

Here's my understanding of starter/grower feed. Others chime in and correct me if you know better, please.

Chicks need higher protein, (maybe other nutrients too?) and their food has grit included in it. Baby chicks need grit right off the bat, but they may not eat it right away, which could cause big problems in their crop. They do not need calcium at the level laying hens do, so starter/grower doesn't have that added.

I have read here on BYC about feeding everyone in the flock chick feed as the chicks get integrated into the flock, but putting oyster shell or crushed egg shells out for the laying hens (if you have some) to take as they need it.

Can you exchange the bag of starter for a bag of all flock?

Chick starter/grower is crumbled up pellets, with some dust. It is good to feed to growing pullets and cockerels until 18-20 weeks of age, or until the pullets start laying. There’s no need to exchange the feed unless you want to. I allow hens to raise chicks with the flock and the entire flock eats crumble while the chicks are still small. There’s no need to return or exchange it unless you want to.

Ok thanks yall...I'm not gonna try to bag it all back up cuz had the teenagers helping me yesterday for few hours pour it into container.
I'll post pics in lil bit to make sure yall think its OK.

Since some bags change from time to time as to what food looks like is there a brand that is better to get than DuMor?

Ok thanks yall...I'm not gonna try to bag it all back up cuz had the teenagers helping me yesterday for few hours pour it into container.
I'll post pics in lil bit to make sure yall think its OK.

Since some bags change from time to time as to what food looks like is there a brand that is better to get than DuMor?
Everyone has differences in opinions on brands. I always check the mill-by date in the bag and pick the freshest one, regardless of brand. Typically I give first preference to all flock feeds, then grower, then a high protein layer feed.

Dumor has an organic chick feed, but our local TSC didn't carry any organic All Flock. I found Kalmbach at an independent feed store. Organic, 20% protein, which is what I was looking for.

@humblehillsfarm is right; the mill date is important. You don't want stuff that has been sitting around for months.
Yes I’d prefer organic but if the organic has an old mill by date, I’d choose non organic over organic. Nutrient breakdown happens rather quickly once grains have been milled.

I'm feeding my 4 girls (ranging from 1 year to 5 weeks old) chick starter crumble with oyster shell on the side. The older ones have never been on layer feed; they stopped at grower with oyster shell on the side. But with 2 younger ones now, I went with starter instead. I'll move back to grower when the youngest is around 12 weeks, and I don't ever anticipate having them on layer.

I put out a big bowl in the morning, and then wet down whatever's left the next day. They love the mash, so that always goes first. It may help that I mix in some herbs, sunflower seeds, and grubs into that one!

I'm feeding my 4 girls (ranging from 1 year to 5 weeks old) chick starter crumble with oyster shell on the side. The older ones have never been on layer feed; they stopped at grower with oyster shell on the side. But with 2 younger ones now, I went with starter instead. I'll move back to grower when the youngest is around 12 weeks, and I don't ever anticipate having them on layer.

I put out a big bowl in the morning, and then wet down whatever's left the next day. They love the mash, so that always goes first. It may help that I mix in some herbs, sunflower seeds, and grubs into that one!
I tried mixing in fresh, homegrown lettuce of several types and they just refuse to eat the lettuces anyway I give it to em!
And of course I got lettuces for days!

Back
Top Bottom