Food and Water in coop?

I have food and water in a secure pen, but the coop does not have any food and water in it. The hens are already up and moving around by the time I let them out (usually around 7:30), and while most of them do eat a big breakfast, there's not a giant rush to the waterer first thing. They have been doing just fine with access to food and water all day long, but none at night.

I just never want water in the coop since water int he coop increases frostbite risk.

That is another thing that differs because of where one lives. Where I live the summers are really hot and humid so access all the time to water is necessary. It is also important to us to give them ice bottles and cold water. We very rarely have anything close to freezing so our biggest concern is the heat. For the people in the northern areas, they have to worry about frostbite and freezing waterers all the time. Things that I take for granted like nipple systems and pails in the yard would be nothing but a waste of time to them.

It really depends on the coop size. If it has room for a feeder and a waterer, it might be more convienient. I put my feeders in the run, but I keep the door to the run open, just in case they want food overnight. (Not that they ever will). My coop is big enough for roosts and nesting boxes, but puting a feeder and a waterer would fill up all of the space. It's your decision.

Last edited:
I'm planning on doing DIY waterer and feeder in the run. In the coop I will place their current chick waterer and feeder (the plastic ones) just so if they feel inclined to drink at midnight, they can. I don't see the need for a full sized feeder and waterer if they're supposed to be just sleeping and laying in there. Our coop is only 8x4ft for 12 full sized hens and half of the coop is covered with a poop tray and roosting bars so space is my main concern.

the feeder and waterer not only take up space in the coop, but cause messes..

however, every set-up is different, you just have to find out what works best for you.
big_smile.png

Not really necessary I wouldnt say. It would be like saying do you need food and water next to your bed at night, your asleep, once they roost they are asleep in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom