foof and water IN the coop

hu.gif
I keep water and food in coop/run combo and never had a problem, don't understand your question?

Some people here don't keep food in the coop, with the reasoning that it is messy and when it gets wet, smells up the coop and draws flies.

Some don't have water in their coop as it gets spilled and doesn't drain.

Some keep both food and water in the coop.

I'm just trying to figure out the layout of my coop and what is the best way for the birds.

I was just going to have food in the run, not the coop, but have water in both run and coop.

Some people here don't keep food in the coop, with the reasoning that it is messy and when it gets wet, smells up the coop and draws flies.

Some don't have water in their coop as it gets spilled and doesn't drain.

Some keep both food and water in the coop.

I'm just trying to figure out the layout of my coop and what is the best way for the birds.

I was just going to have food in the run, not the coop, but have water in both run and coop.
Guess the answer depends on your climate and how you plan to do the daily feed/water routine and how you manage your flock. It varies by climate, how large the flock is, whether they are in coop/run confinement or free range.

Sorry if this is not a lot of help, but chicken owners have varying ways of attending to the needs of their flocks in their unique locations and lifestyles.

Food is not messy if you place in a location without rain and leave only enough out for a few days. And clean the feed container at least once a week.

Water needs to be available at all times. My chickens have free access to their protected run and I choose to only place a water fount in that area. I rinse the fount and fill with fresh water daily. And weekly really wash the fount well. During cold weather, place it on a home made heater to keep from freezing, and when really cold, check it frequently to make sure it is not frozen.

** If you are planning to confine them in the coop more than sundown to sun up, then you will need food and water in coop. If you plan to let them out at dawn, then your don't. Again, it all Depends.

We have ducks and chickens together and because of the ducks we can not keep any water inside of the coop, they make a mess really quick. We keep the food inside of the coop.

Food is always in the coop to prevent wild birds and vermin from accessing it. During the spring, summer, and fall water is outside it makes my life easier. In winter I have the water inside it makes my hens life easier.

There is no right or wrong answers to this question it all comes down to your own preferences.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom