Foot Injury- possible bumblefoot?

I was with out internet for the whole day until this morning. But we did the surgery yesterday afternoon. Sorry I didn't video because my husband held Pearl while I did the surgery I went in from the top because she had swelling bottom and top and the antibiotic had done nothing and yesterday was week two of antibiotics and 3 weeks total of bumble foot. I used a scalpel. and made an small incision some fluid came out and tiny bit of blood. So I had to make the cut a bit larger. Finally I was able to get that kernel out after mashing the dickens out of her poor foot. It flew out and hit me in the neck. Tried to find it on the patio but I think one of my dogs got it :sickthey'll eat anything. I cleaned her foot real good with Chlorhexidine before I started after I used veterycin spray then put non stick gauze and vet wrap to keep it clean as possible. She won't be getting into the pool till healed and is being kept in the smaller fenced in area so she keeps it clean as possible I'll check in a few days, I have a feeling I may have to do it again. I've never seen a bumble like this it didn't present it self with a scab at all no cuts or scrapes just swelling top and bottom.

Last edited:
This video is great! Thank you. I have a feeling my duck isn't going to be as calm as one in video. She actually nipped me the other day when I went to pick her up. I know she's just scared. Hopefully wrapping her in towel will help!

To Miss Lydia, getaclue, & any others who had input & are interested...Thank All of u for your help! As a new duck owner, I never imagined I'd be doing surgery within first couple months.
A couple of days before Memorial Weekend the top wound began to protrude straight up like a little volcano. It began to open up & bleed on its own so I knew surgery could not be postponed.
We did the surgery the Saturday of memorial weekend. Working from top down, besides the scab, I only pulled out one large piece of infection. All of the little blackish spots seen in photo on bottom of foot had disappeared. I thought i saw more infection but she was bleeding so much, I couldn't keep it clear to see well. So after several minutes of exploratory, I decided to wrap it up & check at bandage change in couple days. On monday, (memorial day) again I thought I saw more infection, again she started bleeding so much,couldn't see. Was losing daylight so had wrap it up. Next bandage change in couple more days, had really started to heal up. I would have had to reopen wound more but the little spot that was still open, I could no longer see or feel any more infection. Figured bandage it up again & just keep an eye on.
So now couple weeks later, no more bandages.She still has a little swelling but it is still going down. The very first morning after her surgery her spirit was about 90% back. Now shes 100% back to her usual self! No limping.
We have two adult males that we adopted along with her. She calls out for her buddies every day since her surgery. They come & hang out next to her recovery pen. ( It is a large around 20x20 old dogpen with a small concrete building in the corner for shelter). We also have 6 ducklings that we keep in the same pen as her but had them separated so they couldn't bother her. Now that they are bigger & she's better, they all hang together. I really think she enjoyed their company during her month-long ordeal. I'm hesitant to let her free-range yet until swelling is completely gone.
Anyways, I think my first surgery has been a success! Again, I just wanted to thank everyone for their help on this! I really couldn't have done it had I not stumbled across this forum!

That’s great news and so thankful you got it all. Thank you for detailed info these will hopefully help others. Glad to hear she is just about ready to join the gang. Please post pics of them all when you have time!!

Back
Top Bottom