Foot Injury- possible bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by qwackers9, May 18, 2019.

1. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Soak with the epsom salt. Let the top get healed up, then you are going to do some bumblefoot surgery. You might want to order a few disposable scalpels online. Amazon has them, and they're not very expensive. Betadine solution (povidone-iodine solution 10% at wal mart), some gauze pads (I prefer the telfa non-stick ones), and some adhesive tape. You might want to get some vet wrap too.

Miss Lydia and qwackers9 like this.
  2. qwackers9

qwackers9 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    Thank You so much! It seemed like the scab on top was just starting to loosen at one edge. So hopefully the bumblefoot won't get much worse until the top heals. Does bumblefoot ever heal on its own (without surgery)? I have read about so I know what to do but it sounds painful. Thanx again!

quackiemama likes this.
  3. getaclue

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Normally, bumblefoot does not heal on it's own. Untreated is NOT an option, since the infection can do a lot of damage, even kill a duck, or chicken.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Today I am doing surgery on my Runner female she was on antibiotics from the vet and the bumble needs to come out. The antibiotics will not kill the staff because it's like encapsulated and the core needs to be out then healing can begin.

quackiemama and getaclue like this.
  5. DuckyDonna

DuckyDonna Crowing

Aug 26, 2018
    Dallas, Georgia
    Have Al video it and then post it on here!

6. qwackers9

qwackers9 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    Ok. Than! Will do the surgery after top side heals a little more!

7. qwackers9

qwackers9 In the Brooder

May 18, 2019
    Also..just to be sure I do it right, is there any chance you could video your surgery today? Or do you know of any videos already out there. Probably utube but you sound like you know what you're doing!

quackiemama, getaclue and Miss Lydia like this.
  8. getaclue

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    While this one is a bit long winded, they do a very good job at showing how do to the bumblefoot surgery. For the record, the duck DOES feel the pain, even if it's laying there calmly, so don't drag it out longer than necessary. Watch the video multiple times, so you know the procedure well. Have all equipment ready, and sterilized beforehand. I don't use alcohol except to clean the surgical tools. Plain saline solution (contact solution aisle at wal mart) works to irrigate, wash away blood, and debris.

quackiemama and qwackers9 like this.
  9. Fairyloop5

Fairyloop5 Songster

May 3, 2019
    You did great for your first try!:celebrate:clap:thumbsup

quackiemama likes this.
  10. getaclue

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Fairy, that's not my video, it's one I found on youtube.

quackiemama likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: