Foot Injury- possible bumblefoot?

qwackers9

Songster
May 18, 2019
SouthWestern PA
About 10 days ago my 2 yr old female Pekin started limping. By the 3-4 day she started laying around more & staying close to my pond. Then she couldn't walk altogether. She is using her wing for support. Ive had her isolated & keeping her in small area for last 6 days.
She has a black scab across the top of her middle toe that is about quarter inch long. In same area on underside is a small black scab not much bigger than 2 pinheads. Neither scab has growths, but her toe in general is slightly swollen. I have been giving her aspirin water but I'm not sure how many days I can do this safely. She is eating, drinking, pooping & laying eggs.
She is showing some progress although very slowly. Does anyone have any thoughts?

To Miss Lydia, getaclue, & any others who had input & are interested...Thank All of u for your help! As a new duck owner, I never imagined I'd be doing surgery within first couple months.
A couple of days before Memorial Weekend the top wound began to protrude straight up like a little volcano. It began to open up & bleed on its own so I knew surgery could not be postponed.
We did the surgery the Saturday of memorial weekend. Working from top down, besides the scab, I only pulled out one large piece of infection. All of the little blackish spots seen in photo on bottom of foot had disappeared. I thought i saw more infection but she was bleeding so much, I couldn't keep it clear to see well. So after several minutes of exploratory, I decided to wrap it up & check at bandage change in couple days. On monday, (memorial day) again I thought I saw more infection, again she started bleeding so much,couldn't see. Was losing daylight so had wrap it up. Next bandage change in couple more days, had really started to heal up. I would have had to reopen wound more but the little spot that was still open, I could no longer see or feel any more infection. Figured bandage it up again & just keep an eye on.
So now couple weeks later, no more bandages.She still has a little swelling but it is still going down. The very first morning after her surgery her spirit was about 90% back. Now shes 100% back to her usual self! No limping.
We have two adult males that we adopted along with her. She calls out for her buddies every day since her surgery. They come & hang out next to her recovery pen. ( It is a large around 20x20 old dogpen with a small concrete building in the corner for shelter). We also have 6 ducklings that we keep in the same pen as her but had them separated so they couldn't bother her. Now that they are bigger & she's better, they all hang together. I really think she enjoyed their company during her month-long ordeal. I'm hesitant to let her free-range yet until swelling is completely gone.
Anyways, I think my first surgery has been a success! Again, I just wanted to thank everyone for their help on this! I really couldn't have done it had I not stumbled across this forum!

It sounds like she has run something through her foot. I'd start with soaking the foot, in warm salt water, or epsom salt water. Test the water inside your wrist, like for a baby bottle. You don't want it too hot, but you want it warmer than lukewarm. Add more warm water as needed to do a half hour soak, then apply triple antibiotic to both sides, top and bottom of the wound. Do this twice a day for several days. When you are sure there is no infection, and it's looking better, then you can just apply triple antibiotic a couple times a day, and it should be fine.
I am still trying to get pics. She is resting so comfortably,I don't want to disturb. I thought too, maybe something went whole way thru. I will definitely try this. I am new to ducks. Can anyone tell me how much food I should be feeding to 6 ducklings a day? I've been reading all over the place & that's about the only thing bigger haven't found specifically. Thanks!

Soak with the epsom salt. Let the top get healed up, then you are going to do some bumblefoot surgery. You might want to order a few disposable scalpels online. Amazon has them, and they're not very expensive. Betadine solution (povidone-iodine solution 10% at wal mart), some gauze pads (I prefer the telfa non-stick ones), and some adhesive tape. You might want to get some vet wrap too.

Today I am doing surgery on my Runner female she was on antibiotics from the vet and the bumble needs to come out. The antibiotics will not kill the staff because it's like encapsulated and the core needs to be out then healing can begin.

Back
Top Bottom