Foot injury

Favus is a fungal infection seen usually on the comb, face, and wattles which can move to feathered areas. It is characterized by white chaulky appearance. The peeling skin does not look like that to me. What are you feeding? You might try a vitamin that contains biotin, but this condition looks rare. Someone else a few weeks ago had a chick who feet cracked, and no matter what she did, the chick got worse, so she put it down. You might search for that thread. I might suggest stopping the Epsom salts, which might be too strong, and using something mild like baby shampoo or ivory soap to soak.
It’s all over her whole body. All her skin is peeling up everywhere and around her mouth and eye is super crusty. I originally thought it was just a foot problem but Ive been searching and searching and found Favus. I looked under her wings today and there’s this white substance and her skin under there is just wrecked. I feel bad for her. Yeah the soaks don’t seem to be doing anything but keeping her feet cleaner. She’s definitely not getting better. I might have to cull her and I’ve never had to do this before

I think I figured it out. I’m thinking she has Favus.
It’s all over her whole body. All her skin is peeling up everywhere and around her mouth and eye is super crusty. I originally thought it was just a foot problem but Ive been searching and searching and found Favus. I looked under her wings today and there’s this white substance and her skin under there is just wrecked. I feel bad for her. Yeah the soaks don’t seem to be doing anything but keeping her feet cleaner. She’s definitely not getting better. I might have to cull her and I’ve never had to do this before
I agree, if you can get more photos.

Are you still providing heat for this chick?

Do you mean like a heat lamp? No. They’ve been raised outside with the broody and flock When I Noticed she was ill I brought her Inside and did give a heating pad for the first couple nights. Should I continue with that. I wasn’t sure. I’ll get some pics for you

What I’m doing now is: I gave her a bath yesterday. Then sprayed some lotrimine miconozale under her wings and anywhere else I could get to. Then some miconazole cream in her legs and face area. I’m feeding her cat food? because I notice people do that when their chickens are sick 🤷🏼‍♀️ I honestly am trying anything at this point. I don’t want to take her to the vet. Mine charges 85 dollars just to go in there and I feel like they might not have anymore knowledge than chicken keepers on this site. My kids really want me to try to get her through this so I’m going to keep trying. With the shutdown it’s not like I’m very busy right now anyway lol. Also she’s getting probiotics and vitamins/electrolytes alternately in her water.

Do you mean like a heat lamp? No. They’ve been raised outside with the broody and flock When I Noticed she was ill I brought her Inside and did give a heating pad for the first couple nights. Should I continue with that. I wasn’t sure. I’ll get some pics for you
What I’m doing now is: I gave her a bath yesterday. Then sprayed some lotrimine miconozale under her wings and anywhere else I could get to. Then some miconazole cream in her legs and face area. I’m feeding her cat food? because I notice people do that when their chickens are sick 🤷🏼‍♀️ I honestly am trying anything at this point. I don’t want to take her to the vet. Mine charges 85 dollars just to go in there and I feel like they might not have anymore knowledge than chicken keepers on this site. My kids really want me to try to get her through this so I’m going to keep trying. With the shutdown it’s not like I’m very busy right now anyway lol. Also she’s getting probiotics and vitamins/electrolytes alternately in her water.
I don't know if I would provide more heat - usually 70-75F would be good so if she's inside she's likely o.k. without heat. Do you notice if she's getting on the heating pad at all - that would be a clue that she's needing it.

You can give a bit of cat food as an enticement if she's not eating her normal feed, but it's best to encourage a chick to eat the chick starter. Bits of scrambled egg is usually tasty as well.

I don't know if I would provide more heat - usually 70-75F would be good so if she's inside she's likely o.k. without heat. Do you notice if she's getting on the heating pad at all - that would be a clue that she's needing it.

You can give a bit of cat food as an enticement if she's not eating her normal feed, but it's best to encourage a chick to eat the chick starter. Bits of scrambled egg is usually tasty as well.
Ok I will do eggs. My house is a little chilly so maybe I’ll try the heating pad again. Do you think it helps speed healing?

Ok I will do eggs. My house is a little chilly so maybe I’ll try the heating pad again. Do you think it helps speed healing?
A bird that is not well can have trouble regulating body temperature, so they would expend more energy trying to stay warm or cool if too hot. If she's in a large enough kennel where she can get away from the heat if she needs to, then making the heating pad available for her would be a good idea -she can choose if she needs the extra warmth or not.

Well I thought I’d give an update on Junior Mint. If you can believe it she’s still alive! I seriously did not think she was going to make it. After 11 days of lotrimine fungal spray ,and 2 baths, vitamins and electrolytes, heating pad and TLC she’s back out with her flock. When I let her out of the crate she ran over to the dust bath area and took a bath. Her sisters seemed to be happy to see her. In fact they helped her remember where she was supposed to sleep. When I brought her in, mom was still telling them what to do so she was a little lost out there.
I don’t think she’s entirely out of the woods yet but I’m going to keep a close eye on her and continue the spray until her skin looks completely better. If she looks sick I’ll bring her back in Thank you for all your help❤️🐥🐔

Back
Top Bottom