For all the parents out there....

Is 16 too young to date?

• Yes, no boyfriends til your out of college!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, not until your 18!

• Depends

• No, as long as I know who and there is guidlines.

• No, its old enough!

• Total voters
Quote:
I agree it depends on the maturity of a child, i am a teen, as is my girlfriend. We have liked each other since we were 11, and have been full on dating for over a year and a half now. We both have respect each other and the others parents/their rules, and personally bring out the best in each other (especially me...) and suuuree "You're young, and don't know anything" is what a lot of people will think/say, but we do love each other and plan to get married eventually since our lives click in every way- and yes, everyone knows we're engaged
cool.png

-Daniel.

I wanted to add that one important reason I am allowing him to date early is because he communicates well with me. I also feel that it's important to let him go through this very important learning and growing phase while he is still living at home and we are available to guide him (or be a shoulder to cry on) if he needs it.

I met my husband when we were both 16. We dated for 4 yrs and have been married for 7. Good grief I feel old. On another note my husband says our daughters are never allowed out of the house from 12-30 something.
big_smile.png
Know the limits.

My son just turned 14 and his girlfriend came over today, and I walked into the back yard, as they were suppose to be jumping on the trampoline, well he was just about to kiss her, and I think he almost broke his neck trying to get away from her, when he saw me rounding the corner..........
lau.gif

So, it's hard for me to say no to dating, when my 14 yr old has a girlfriend, but he isn't allowed to go off anywhere with her.

But, I think your wise for your age, and you will make responsible choices when it comes to dating.
wink.png

Of course it's old enough. Over the course of human history, most 16 year olds already had kids. Now they are expected to delay this strongest of instinctive drives for several years. It's not about artificial restrictions, it's about educating them on what they are up against. In the end, they will be making the choice, anyway.

It depends on the situation.

Perhaps you could compromise with your parents by asking if you could invite the boy to dinner a few times so that they could get to know him. They might feel more comfortable saying yes if they see that he is polite and sweet.

You could also ask if group dating was okay. If you promise also that you will call your parents once you reach the place that you are going and after you leave, they might feel a little better about letting you go.

Last edited:
This is my general opinion. I think that group dates are fine. Individual depends on how mature the kids are and how much they can be trusted. It is a really hard decision to make. Sit down and have a good talk with your kids. I'm glad my son is only 5 so I have a while longer before I really have to worry about it. If you are worried that your daughter might be sneaking around when youre not watching then by all means get her birth control. They are going to do what they are going to do and teenage moms CAN be avoided. If you try to stop them from going out then they might go just out of spite. This is a VERY delicate subject and should be handled with care.

Emy, ( whi ch by the way my DD name is Emma and she is a freshman) she got her first BF this past summer-my FIL lawn helper. I was very upset -she is too young and naive to some extent. After talking it over with all teh grownups around we decided to let it play itself out-well after a month-they never did a thing and my DD ended it because he was ANNOYING!! I also threatened him and her that if they thought thered be any alone time they were nuts! There never was and I was grateful we are all like hawks! He already has another GF ( within 2 days) and my DD could care less. I can see maybe as a junior or senior when feelings have been under a little control but at her age way to young-Emy how old are you hun 16 right? I was a senior at that age and was dating and have been married to the same man for 15 years-22 years together-that is very RARE---Dont get mad at your parents it's all out of love hunny I promise and you will thank them down the road..TRUST ME!!! Have fun with your freinds and school! It pays off in the end God bless~

I am 16(almost 17) and have been dating my girlfriend(16) for a while(i kinda forget when we started ooops) But my parents did the same thing as most of the posts on here. Only group things and we could go to each others house as long as the parents were home. She has just reacently(sp) (end of the summer) lets me go on real dates. But i was raised to be a gentleman and i stick to my values. My parents and her parents know that i would never do anything i am not supposed to. I stick to the rule dont do it if you coulndt do it in front of your grandmother.

Last edited:
Add me to the 16 is ready to experiment with dating group. Better you learn about the ups and downs now while parents are there to guide you than go buck wild when you hit 18. (I've seen it happen many times before.)
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom