For anyone having picking/cannibalism issues

chickensrfood

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 24, 2010
I just wanted to share that after coming home to see 3 pullets killed and half eaten I ordered some pinless peppers. Put them all on by myself with no tools and now they are finally growing their tails back and everyone is much calmer. Just wanted to share for anyone having similar issues looking for a solution. Now I am just waiting for the first eggs
smile.png

CIMG0145.jpg

Great pic! I think I will have to do that with my BLRW next year. This year the "yutes" were horrible pickers. They plucked everyone bald, but didn't kill or eat anything. Just made them ugly. It was summertime, so I wasn't very worried about it, but it couldn't have felt good to the other babies growing out.

Anyone know the cheapest place to get some? I may as well order some now I guess... be ready and already have them if I need them.

They are white leghorns the hens just started growing out their combs. The picking started when they were just weeks old and came and went and after the deaths I figured I would give these a try. This pen is 8' x 10' and has 22 pullets and 1 rooster. Overcrowding and boredom were certainly issues but these hens can be very aggressive in general. They will soon be moved to a 20' x 40' pen which will then allow them to also free range over an acre.

Yah, Leghorns are a pretty restless breed. Kudos to you for installing the clip-on peepers.

Now maybe if you can make a video of how to get the dang things on, more folks would use them. . .
lol.png

You could also toss them some cabbages or other firm veggies to peck at . . . though some folks are reporting their birds don't like cabbage, mine enjoy it.

Thanks for the update. Best of luck with your birds!

Last edited:
I've never heard of these. Several of my chickens have no feathers just above their tail (sorry, I'm not very good with terminology yet) and most of them look as though they have been trimmed. Their feathers are broken. So this might be a good idea for my flock. Where do you get them?

Back
Top Bottom