1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For anyone having picking/cannibalism issues

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickensrfood, Dec 1, 2010.

1. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    I just wanted to share that after coming home to see 3 pullets killed and half eaten I ordered some pinless peppers. Put them all on by myself with no tools and now they are finally growing their tails back and everyone is much calmer. Just wanted to share for anyone having similar issues looking for a solution. Now I am just waiting for the first eggs [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Oh how adorable they look!!!
    Thank you for the information!!!!

[​IMG]

Also, I am sorry for your loss of three chickens.
    Are they white Leghorns?

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  3. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Great pic! I think I will have to do that with my BLRW next year. This year the "yutes" were horrible pickers. They plucked everyone bald, but didn't kill or eat anything. Just made them ugly. It was summertime, so I wasn't very worried about it, but it couldn't have felt good to the other babies growing out.

Anyone know the cheapest place to get some? I may as well order some now I guess... be ready and already have them if I need them.

4. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Sorry about your birds. How many birds are there in what size pen?

5. chickensrfood

chickensrfood Out Of The Brooder

Jul 24, 2010
    They are white leghorns the hens just started growing out their combs. The picking started when they were just weeks old and came and went and after the deaths I figured I would give these a try. This pen is 8' x 10' and has 22 pullets and 1 rooster. Overcrowding and boredom were certainly issues but these hens can be very aggressive in general. They will soon be moved to a 20' x 40' pen which will then allow them to also free range over an acre.

6. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Yah, Leghorns are a pretty restless breed. Kudos to you for installing the clip-on peepers.

Now maybe if you can make a video of how to get the dang things on, more folks would use them. . . [​IMG]

You could also toss them some cabbages or other firm veggies to peck at . . . though some folks are reporting their birds don't like cabbage, mine enjoy it.

Thanks for the update. Best of luck with your birds!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
  7. Wendy'sChicksRock

Wendy'sChicksRock Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2010
    Oakland county ,MI
    I have 2 GLW hens that pic everyones feathers out ALL THE TIME. I was going to clip their beaks. I dont want to send them to freezer camp, I do love them. Is it ok to clip them?

8. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Could you take a close up picture so I can see what they look like on the face and how they are staying on,great idea and they look kinda cute

9. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    Looks like a chicken masquerade party. too cute.

so happy they are working for you, I have actually never heard of them until now.

10. Shanda

Shanda Out Of The Brooder

Nov 20, 2010
    Elk Grove, CA
    I've never heard of these. Several of my chickens have no feathers just above their tail (sorry, I'm not very good with terminology yet) and most of them look as though they have been trimmed. Their feathers are broken. So this might be a good idea for my flock. Where do you get them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by