For People In The North East......* Heat Wave* & *Bad Storms*

If you want an accurite temp.....you gotta keep your thermometer where the sun dont shine
gig.gif

I'm sorry......
lau.gif

it's still pretty hot under the tarp... and so muggy!!! the ducklings are panting, they don't have a momma, can they have a shallow bowl to swim in? supervised? i have no idea how they would freeze because it's burning up out there!!!

Quote:
you can let them swim for a bit but not to long or they will get to wet so make sure there supervised when you let them swim

I had my chicks out this am (well 10 of 12, 2 were too frightened to let me pick them up and that dang brooder is so big they can run away from me), and THEY were having a blast despite the heat. I had already been out for several hours and I caved in first. Had to put them back in the barn so I could go inside... now drinking some water inside and pondering my next move. maybe I'll bring them out again later...

Yes, it's too early for it to be this hot!

UGHHHHHHHHHHHH,,,,,,,I could never live anywhere and have it like this all the time! I have six three week old chicks in the garage and shut the light off before they cook. Thank goodness I did all the barn work early this morning, this is pretty bad for the beginning of June.
sickbyc.gif

I have 21 3-4 week olds (not sure as I got them from the feed store just guessing) and 19 10 day olds. I had to turn their heater off completely two days ago and they are still panting. I'm changing their water about every hour so it stays fresh and cold...anything else I can do for such young ones?

I was wondering the same thing. Us newbies are beinging to panic I think! My girls will be 4 weeks on Monday. They are in the garage in the brooder. I have a fan blowing on them right now. I keep changing the water. I am getting worried because a couple of them keep doing this thing I never saw them do before. I looks like they are yawning. Is thing normal for chickens when they are hot???

Put a watermelon or something like that in the fridge, whack it open and they will pick at it. As they pick a bigger hole in the middle, put ice in there. Even my standard Cochins do OK that way.

It is glorious! I love it! The house is nice and cool due to thermal mass alone, so after I did the yard chores I put on my swimsuit.

Summerday.jpg

Actually I took this picture last year. Right now there are wild eglantine roses blooming near the fence. It smells heavenly.

Tell me about it, here in Virginia it's supposed to be 100 tomorrow. Thank goodness for a/c. I surely hope we get it over with and the rest of the summer is cool ( yea like that's going to happen) I don't really believe all this hype about global warming, but when it gets 100 in early June, it does make you think. I open the freezer, stick my toe on the button to make the freezer come back on and chill for a few. If it wasn't so full I think I would climb in with my pillow and sleep in there
smile.png

Remember to keep your garden well watered, it suffers too in this 95 plus heat. I have to water sometimes twice a day now. Also I leave a pan of water outside for the squirrels and bunny's. They get hot too, we have a small creek at the back of my property, but it dries up in the summer.

Take care, and don't get out if you don't have to, it's dangerious out there at these temps. Heat index is over 100 right now.

Back
Top Bottom