For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
You got it!
Partly I put it in separate containers because I have cute containers that make a ‘grit buffet’ - I like how they stop by the buffet in their way to bed each night.

Here is my buffet line. The first in the left is for eggshells but I hadn’t added them when I took the picture. They are the most popular item on the buffet menu!

View attachment 3499191
I absolutely love this!

Well friends, I think the day has arrived. We are supposed to pick the chickens up during the first week of June but the coop is ready and I can't wait any longer.

They were born 3/27 and we'll probably pick them up on 5/21 so they're just about 8 weeks old. How do you suggest I transport them home? I've got 5.

Well friends, I think the day has arrived. We are supposed to pick the chickens up during the first week of June but the coop is ready and I can't wait any longer.

They were born 3/27 and we'll probably pick them up on 5/21 so they're just about 8 weeks old. How do you suggest I transport them home? I've got 5.
So exciting!
How long is the journey home?
I have a little basket breadbox I use but a cardboard box is totally fine. Put some shavings in the base and make sure there are some air holes.

I found cardboard boxes worked well - one hen per box but for 8 week olds, I might put two or three per box.

Book box size from moving companies worked well - big enough for her to stand, small enough for me to carry without dropping it when she shifted suddenly and they fit into the vehicle reasonably well. They stayed calm in the dim light.

I put shavings in the boxes to make them more comfortable and to absorb messes.

It's about 30 minutes. Dumb question but do I close the top on the box? How big should it be for 5?

I feel like I'm in for a shock ha ha
Yours will be old enough thatvthey will be able to fly around so for safety I would close the box or drape a towel over it.

It is only 30 mins they can be a bit cramped.
I think my bread box is 14”x8”. Look around what boxes you have and share. 12”x12” would be plenty.
I would not go too large because you don’t want them losing sight of each other and getting scared while you drive. They piteous cries will distract you! Let them huddle together for comfort. Really for 30mins you can’t go wrong!

Yes, close the top. I put a blanket across the tops to hold the lids down and keep the light dimmer. When I moved mine as adults.

Even one week old chicks can jump out without a lid. You may ask how I know. I don't recommend it while driving on I 80 in Chicago. That was an open topped box I thought was deep enough. A mesh top (hastily bought at the nearest thrift shop) kept them in but didn't keep them from trying.

I found cardboard boxes worked well - one hen per box but for 8 week olds, I might put two or three per box.

Book box size from moving companies worked well - big enough for her to stand, small enough for me to carry without dropping it when she shifted suddenly and they fit into the vehicle reasonably well. They stayed calm in the dim light.

I put shavings in the boxes to make them more comfortable and to absorb messes.
Interesting - I put them all in one box together.
I guess that raises a question for @GetFitWithKrista - have they been living together up to now (in which case I definitely wouldn’t separate them) or will this be the first time they meet?
I would probably still put them together as chickens derive comfort from other chickens.

Yours will be old enough thatvthey will be able to fly around so for safety I would close the box or drape a towel over it.

It is only 30 mins they can be a bit cramped.
I think my bread box is 14”x8”. Look around what boxes you have and share. 12”x12” would be plenty.
I would not go too large because you don’t want them losing sight of each other and getting scared while you drive. They piteous cries will distract you! Let them huddle together for comfort. Really for 30mins you can’t go wrong!
Ah yesterday was trash day. I threw out all of my boxes. Do I need a 12x12 for each chicken? Can I put them all in a very large box?

Back
Top Bottom