For the MINIMALISTS - those who think less is more in chicken keeping - Please help

Pics
I am less excited about the tote because of the lack of air. A tote with a loose weave blanket instead of the lid would probably be OK and is plenty big enough - but I would prefer them to be in the pet carrier even if they are a bit squished together.
I was going to cover with a blanket if I used it but I won't use it.

I'm picking up my neighbors packages while she's away and she has a lamp in a large box. She's coming home today so I'll ask her if I can have the box. I can bring this too as a backup. Should I lightly close the flaps on top or keep it open and drape a towel over the top? Poke holes in it?

Attachments

• PXL_20230519_115753675.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_115753675.MP.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 10
I don't disagree.

With the adults, I had trouble enough getting one into the box; I don't think I could have gotten a second one in without losing the first or hurting them. Maybe, if there was another person to help.
This is going to be a circus, isn't it? My husband will be there so hopefully he can help keep them calm. It'll be good practice for us new chicken parents

Ah thank you so so much! I was going to ask if I should send pictures of them. Awesome! I couldn't have gotten all of this done without the Wise Chicken Counsel. There's no way. I'm SO grateful to you all. You're incredible chicken people!

I've got 2 eater eggers, 1 Olive egger, 1 Dark brahma and 1 cream Legbar coming.

The breeder is a jerk. I doubt he'll help us with anything so we're likely on our own.

Try to put all 5 in the black carrier or 3 in the black, 2 in the green?
I have straw, can I put that in the bottom?
Great advice on the cardboard.
Towel, check.
Definitely we (well, I at least) want pictures!
I think you will have to adapt to what you find when you get there and improvise - the jerk may help just to get you to go away!
I would take both black and green carriers and any cardboard boxes that surface in the meantime Aany deliveries due today? Does your local post office have any ready to discard out back? Same for local grocery store?).
Also pack a bunch of towels or blankets. And if you want to make pine shavings/straw clean up easy then spread a sheet in the car and put everything on there so you can grab the sheet and shake it out once everyone is safely stowed.
And yes, I prefer pine shavings but straw is fine - you just want a nice base of bedding to absorb any poop and make it more comfy for your chickens.

Personally I would do the following:
- Try and get all five in the green carrier using a towel or blanket to make it easier to add chickens without other chickens escaping
- If that proves too hard or impossible put the rest into the black carrier. I assume the black one is a pet carrier and has ventilation - it isn't a sport's bag that would be all sealed up is it?
So that means prepping for using two (green and black) but maybe only using one.

I was going to cover with a blanket if I used it but I won't use it.

I'm picking up my neighbors packages while she's away and she has a lamp in a large box. She's coming home today so I'll ask her if I can have the box. I can bring this too as a backup. Should I lightly close the flaps on top or keep it open and drape a towel over the top? Poke holes in it?
That box looks fine too. I would take it along. In may ways the green carrier is easier because of the gate opening at the front rather than the top.
The reason it is hard to put multiple chicks into a cardboard box is you open the whole of the top and then they spring out.
With those pet carriers you only open the gate the width of your hand with the chicken to add, the towel and your body block their view, and they are much less likely to rush straight at you. More likely to run away from you to the back of the carrier.
But yes, five chicks will be a circus whatever you do. Enjoy!

Chicks will stay together much better than adults. You may be able to "herd" them in all together. I'm trying to remember how old mine were when I moved them from the garage to the coop. They were at least several weeks old and still wanting to squish together in a box rather than scatter - if I went slow enough.

It helps to not reach at them from above.

That box looks fine too. I would take it along. In may ways the green carrier is easier because of the gate opening at the front rather than the top.
The reason it is hard to put multiple chicks into a cardboard box is you open the whole of the top and then they spring out.
With those pet carriers you only open the gate the width of your hand with the chicken to add, the towel and your body block their view, and they are much less likely to rush straight at you. More likely to run away from you to the back of the carrier.
But yes, five chicks will be a circus whatever you do. Enjoy!
Definitely we (well, I at least) want pictures!
I think you will have to adapt to what you find when you get there and improvise - the jerk may help just to get you to go away!
I would take both black and green carriers and any cardboard boxes that surface in the meantime Aany deliveries due today? Does your local post office have any ready to discard out back? Same for local grocery store?).
Also pack a bunch of towels or blankets. And if you want to make pine shavings/straw clean up easy then spread a sheet in the car and put everything on there so you can grab the sheet and shake it out once everyone is safely stowed.
And yes, I prefer pine shavings but straw is fine - you just want a nice base of bedding to absorb any poop and make it more comfy for your chickens.

Personally I would do the following:
- Try and get all five in the green carrier using a towel or blanket to make it easier to add chickens without other chickens escaping
- If that proves too hard or impossible put the rest into the black carrier. I assume the black one is a pet carrier and has ventilation - it isn't a sport's bag that would be all sealed up is it?
So that means prepping for using two (green and black) but maybe only using one.
Yes, the black one is for cats. It has ventilation. The green one seems pretty small but at least we'll have some other options with the black one and the box. I'll bring a sheet and towels. Great great ideas, thank you!

Chicks will stay together much better than adults. You may be able to "herd" them in all together. I'm trying to remember how old mine were when I moved them from the garage to the coop. They were at least several weeks old and still wanting to squish together in a box rather than scatter - if I went slow enough.

Yes this.

@saysfaa & @RoyalChick

It's intimidating that they're still chicks. Yikes.

I'm sending some pics of our set up.

Can you tell me if they'll be able to fit through the spaces between the fence posts? I know they'll be able to fly over the fence but we're going to clip their flight feathers and pray that they stay put. I don't know how long that black fence will last. My husband hates it but our budget has been far exceeded so I needed something inexpensive. It's only 32" high, the white fence is 3', the wood picket is 3' and belongs to our neighbors so we can't alter it.

I put large rocks around our shrubs to prevent them from digging them up. I could probably have gone bigger but it's what we have on hand.

The PVC feeder is a bit in front of the dust bath I don't have many options. Will this be really messy - dust in the food?

Attachments

• PXL_20230519_130856317.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_130856317.MP.jpg
    980 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230519_130851457.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_130851457.MP.jpg
    816.4 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230519_130838218.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_130838218.MP.jpg
    903.6 KB · Views: 8
  • PXL_20230519_130820594.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_130820594.MP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230519_130810027.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_130810027.MP.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230519_130756280.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_130756280.MP.jpg
    950.7 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230519_130741249.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_130741249.MP.jpg
    928.4 KB · Views: 7
  • PXL_20230519_130732975.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230519_130732975.MP.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 6
@saysfaa & @RoyalChick

It's intimidating that they're still chicks. Yikes.

I'm sending some pics of our set up.

Can you tell me if they'll be able to fit through the spaces between the fence posts? I know they'll be able to fly over the fence but we're going to clip their flight feathers and pray that they stay put. I don't know how long that black fence will last. My husband hates it but our budget has been far exceeded so I needed something inexpensive. It's only 32" high, the white fence is 3', the wood picket is 3' and belongs to our neighbors so we can't alter it.

I put large rocks around our shrubs to prevent them from digging them up. I could probably have gone bigger but it's what we have on hand.

The PVC feeder is a bit in front of the dust bath I don't have many options. Will this be really messy - dust in the food?
Maybe. But it doesn’t much matter. They will come back.
A good shake of the container containing scratch grains and they will be right there at your feet.
I wouldn’t personally clip their wings. Often they can fly even if you do that and it reduces their ability to get out of danger.
Also, I thought this was the minimalist thread and you have to redo it every time they molt!
Most important is that your coop is properly predator proof and they are safely locked up in it at night.

For that pet carrier, use an old towel or something, not shavings, to keep your vehicle tidier. Shavings will get out of that carrier in the car!
Puppy pads or hospital pads work great too, if you have any.
And having a dog crate or airline crate available comes in handy for emergencies anyway.
And we have a large long handled fish net, and a smaller one, for catching 'escapees'.
As a fence, it's cute. As chicken containment, you can hope.
Nice coop!
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom