1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Happy Chooks, Oct 4, 2011.

1. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks for the pic! I've never seen a molt before and mine are still young.
    Is there a certain age or time of year that they do it?
    I would have been scared poopless if I didn't know LoL

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, extra protein helps them get through the molt.

She will feather back in with the same colors she had before, just fresh feathers. I'll be sure to take a picture of her when she finishes molting and post it here.

3. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    Poor thing I hope the other chickens aren`t making fun of her

4. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    I'm unable to see a picture?

5. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    OMG, that poor chicken! [​IMG]

If a chicken has a rough molt like that and it's in a colder climate, how much of an issue can thermoregulation become? If that was one of my hens right now, I'd feel obligated to get her a sweater and some fuzzy socks because it's been darn cold at night. :eek:

6. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Angie - I'm not sure why you can't see the pictures.

RedDrgn - She certainly doesn't like to be touched, so getting a sweater on her isn't an option. You pick her up and she feels like a porcupine. I had one girl molt last year during the worst cold snap we had in December. It was in the 20's and snow/ice around. She had very little feathers and I was concerned about her. I went out after they were roosting and found her crammed between 2 of the poofiest girls, so they were keeping her nice and toasty. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Quote:LOL! And people think chickens are dumb. [​IMG]

8. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    Oh the poor thing! I hope mine don't molt this winter. I would have to bring them inside. It gets -20 here and colder at night for weeks at a time.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  9. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    A hard molt like that in the winter and my girls get under the heat lamps. Otherwise, they are trembling and shaking from the cold. One of the few times I use supplemental heating in the coop.

10. Egg Rookie 2010

Egg Rookie 2010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2010
    North Idaho
    Mine are 8 months old....looks like 6 of the 11 are molting. Well I hope it is molting anyway. I have checked them head to foot for mites or something else weird cause I thought they were too young and see no signs of anything unusual. The tail feathers get a little ratty looking before they fall out. The rest of the feathers look pretty normal when they fall out. I do see the "pins" where the new feathers are growing back. I hope it is normal the long feathers get kinda ratty looking before they come loose.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by