For the new folks that haven't experienced a molt yet.

Pics
Sorry, no pictures. But the heads of at least 6 and some of the lower back near the tail of the of some. Some of these hens were born in 2011 and they had their molt last fall. And it is mainly those who are in molt again. Along with a couple that were born last summer. They shouldn't be in molt until this fall. It was a chilly wet spring. Maybe that is it.
We have a few tarps around on the north sides and top. They flap in the wind, maybe they got scared during a storm we've had. It gets muddy in the coop during the rain for about 2 days afterward. Maybe they don't like mud. We did introduce about 5 new ones in the coop and as soon as we did, they started eatting so much. We had to take out our self feeder and start feeding them in the morning and evening. That could be when they started their molt. Because it has been going on for about a month now. Will these have another molt again this fall as well? It is a sever molt for some. Their heads are barren and feathers are all over the area they are dust bathing in. I keep checking for bugs. I haven't seen any yet. Thank you for helping.

Is this a regular molt? Her backside and neck have been bare for what seems like months.

And

And

Other photos I've seen have some re growth, but she's been totally skin for so long.

wow! Now I am not so concerned about our EE! She has been looking rather ratty lately, but I was certain she was molting, but she is really ratty appearing the past couple of days so at least I am feeling better she isn't sick or anything...Thank you for the pics!!

Is this a regular molt? Her backside and neck have been bare for what seems like months.

And

And

Other photos I've seen have some re growth, but she's been totally skin for so long.

Looks like feather picking. Spray with blue kote. Don't get it on your hands or you'll look like Barney.

Sorry, no pictures. But the heads of at least 6 and some of the lower back near the tail of the of some. Some of these hens were born in 2011 and they had their molt last fall. And it is mainly those who are in molt again. Along with a couple that were born last summer. They shouldn't be in molt until this fall. It was a chilly wet spring. Maybe that is it.
We have a few tarps around on the north sides and top. They flap in the wind, maybe they got scared during a storm we've had. It gets muddy in the coop during the rain for about 2 days afterward. Maybe they don't like mud. We did introduce about 5 new ones in the coop and as soon as we did, they started eatting so much. We had to take out our self feeder and start feeding them in the morning and evening. That could be when they started their molt. Because it has been going on for about a month now. Will these have another molt again this fall as well? It is a sever molt for some. Their heads are barren  and feathers are all over the area they are dust bathing in. I keep checking for bugs. I haven't seen any yet. Thank you for helping.

Do you have any roosters? If so, what is your rooster/hen ratio? How much feed are you giving them? I would try giving their feeder back and see if you get more eggs.

My hens will get bare necks stretching their heads through the fence to get weeds on the other side.

When looking for bugs on them, look around their vent.

Thanks for the pictures! 3 of my "easter eggers" stopped laying about a week ago but still have all they're feathers. They are just over a year old. Could them not laying be a sign that they are going to molt?

Hi I have had chickens for about 6 or 7 weeks now!! I WAS loving it. I purchased 11 (6 that are about 3 months old and 5 layers) I am loving it, then my mother-in-law's friend is selling out..Needs all the chickens gone. I, remind you, have not seen these hens! My sweet husband goes gets them while I am in town. I come home from town to find 23 "naked" chickens here!!! I almost have a heart attack!! What was he thinking! He would have killed me if I had brought them home. But its HIS mom's friend remember? I told him they are diseased. His mom said they are molting. Some have no feathers on their heads, their bodies, the chest. I think they escaped from KFC. I didn't see her pens so I don't know what the conditions where there. But my 11 are still so pretty and full and these are like little dinosaurs or something. My kids laugh at them, I feel sorry for them. He bought 2 roosters so we have 3 pens now. The smaller pen has 1 rooster and 10 hen, so I don't think the problem is the roosters. They have feathers missing also. One had a RED back and butt area. I told my husband it was sunburn. (I learned that from BYC
clap.gif
) I just tried to compare combs on them and some are smaller than others. ANY advice would be helpful here. Some hens pick at one (almost naked) hen but we separated her cause she has picked on in all 3 pens. Thanks and I love this website. I am learning so much already.

Do you have a picture of them? If they were kept in cramped quarters, it could be feather picking. It could also be a sign of lice/mites. For lice (you can't get them, they live on feather dander), flip them upside down and look around their vent. Lice are brown creepie crawlies. For mites, check them at night.

I can get some pictures tomorrow, its flooding here..AGAIN!! I don't how many she (the lady we purchased them from) had in each pen. My husband said she had lots of big pens on the ground. She didn't give a reason for them being naked. They are not friendly like mine are. They try to fly when I go to feed them. Mine runs to me, these act like I am gonna eat them. And they poop in their nesting boxes, its gross.

Back
Top Bottom