For those interested in Breeding and or Exhibiting ABA/APA birds only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I am sorry, I thought you were a kid..... I see here you reference 'my kids' -- me bad.

A couple of things:

If you haven't already done so please consider joining your breed national club http://www.belgianduccle.org/ as they usually have breed specific discussion forums available. Not all clubs do and some breeds do not have a following of dedicated volunteers to actually have an active club =:~(

This time of the year you are unlikely to actually get the birds you should be looking for. The time for most breeding is slowed down and shipping is a nightmare. Plus, if you are looking for breeding/showable potential started birds they are usually not just waiting on a shelf =:~) so making inquiries and 'pleas' now is good!

Find you most local state (or surrounding) Open (not just youth/4-H) Poultry club and JOIN it. If you ask around you will find who has the breed(s) you are interested in and can make some contacts that will be very helpful in the immediate and in the long run. Often some of these breeders have held back a few extra cockerels and maybe a spare pullet or two to help a newbie for a price that is usually surprising fair.

I have yet to meet a "new to purposefully-bred poultry" that understands the actual costs of raising the birds being offered for sale. Ex. I order eggs in for $90, hatch 50% on a good shipment, 60-70% cockerels, best feed I can buy, lots of time and bedding, etc. and them have maybe 6 good chicks. There is a reason good baby chicks may cost you $10-30 each so $30-50 for a quality started bird or a good trio for less than $100 is actually an excellent bargain. DO NOT be short-sighted as every year that you breed up costs you more money than a good start and the years spent can not be replaced. My lecture for the day and comes from my heart with the best of wishes.

k/

its alright...i have been looking and searching on the d'uccle thread for some good self blue's but people there are mainly looking for their on roos, so finding some good quilty self's hasnt been the easiest thing right now. if worst comes to worse i will just have the self blues as pets
sad.png
i have seen some good d'uccles on the breed thread and have been talking to those people over their but it does seem like they have their own prefrance in what they like in the breed and not just the standered
hmm.png

Quote:
Blue, Self Blue, and Splash are all separate and distinct recognized plummage varieties, and the written descriptions of each can be found in the ABA SOP.

If this thread is to educate per the APA/ABA standards, than we should stick to what is correct per the standards - which should include proper terminology. JMO

Self blue is not splash! Its referred to as lavender but never splash. And yes it is an even color all over.

these are blues

103640_blue.jpg
103640_sally.jpg

self blue

103640_self_blue_duccle_bantam_flock.jpg

splash

103640_splash_rosecomb_bantam_hen.jpg

103640_splash_rosecomb_bantam_roo.jpg

this pics will be up until i need the space as you can see there is an obivous difference in the colors

hope this helped with those 3 colors

Last edited:
Quote:
Blue, Self Blue, and Splash are all separate and distinct recognized plummage varieties, and the written descriptions of each can be found in the ABA SOP.

If this thread is to educate per the APA/ABA standards, than we should stick to what is correct per the standards - which should include proper terminology. JMO

Agree 100%

I agree as well. If people would educate themselves about proper terminology, it would create a lot fewer misunderstandings.

Can we post pictures of our PB chickens to see if they are show quality or not? I was a bit disappointed that this thread has been mostly about the word usage in dog breeding and whatnot, but I hope it gets better
smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom