For Those of You Newbies Getting Chicks for the First Time, Read PLZ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you so much for posting this! I think we all really want to just do the right thing, and give our chickens the best lives we can. That being said, I am new, and have been overwhelmed with so much (and often conflicting) advice that I've found out here on the internet (I won't embarass myself by telling you how many websites I've visited about this subject!). And, while I expect to be overwhelmed
wink.png
, it's a little frustrating trying to sort out what is healthy, and what is not. Sometimes it seems having too much information can backfire, and lead to more illness or worse
sad.png

I really appreciate how clear and concise your post is! I've noticed your other posts on here, and you always seem very level headed. I'll keep reading, but I think I'll take more things with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Good to know that the distilled stuff won't work. Too bad that my local store doesn't have anything healthy in it. *laugh* Hopefully I won't need it.
smile.png

speckledhen, thanks for posting this. You are so right.
I'd like to suggest one thing further to all Newbies:
Start at the BYC home page.
Read the basic info provided right there. 90% of the answers are there in black and white.
If you still don't find what you are looking for, then do a search of the forum for a keyword in your inquiry. You will be surprised how much whatever subject you mention has been discussed.
Don't panic, read and prepare.

i bet your friend asked some idiotic person that just started that day at the feed store.

purina chick start and grow is medicated. but then, your feed store may not sell purina. i have 3 feed stores around me and one won't sell purina.

Quote:

Purina chick start comes in both medicated and non- medicated formulas i my self chose the non medicated variety. The owner of the feed store by me also does not recomend the Medicated Variety.
big_smile.png

-Dom

Well, I'm glad no one seems peeved with me, at least. We all were new once, but I feel mudhen is so right when she says to start on the BYC home page and read all the basic information that is posted for our education. Then, if you do not understand something or an issue you are having is not addressed in a way you can use the information, please do ask the questions. I don't know everything, but I have learned alot over the time I've owned chickens and have hatched my own as well.
I don't necessarily want to get into a big discussion of medicated feed over unmedicated feed, but there are different meds in different starters. For instance, Amprolium is a mild cocciostat, a thiamine-blocker, not an antibiotic. There isn't even a withdrawal time if the pullet starts to lay while she is still eating feed with Amprolium. I have no problem with it at all. However, Nutrena chick starter, at least in my neck of the woods, contains Amprolium plus Bacitracin. That is why I do not feed it to my chicks. Here where I live, I have a hard time getting NON-medicated feed, so alot depends on your locale. If you have crowded conditions or your sanitation isn't up to snuff, you are more likely to need that medicated feed than if you keep a very clean environment and your chicks are not exposed to older birds. Raising chicks isn't rocket science, but sometimes you can make it more difficult than it is. They need a clean environment, clean water, fresh, good-quality food and warmth for their first couple of months of life. That's about it! Just give them hands-on attention if you want them tame and there isn't that much more to know.

you for posting this info.

I have yet to get my chicks but my eggs will be here soon and my biggest concern is feed. I see so many sites saying put molasses in the water, feed them medicated food and give antibiotics and extra vitamins and supplements and on and on and i was thinking to myself that defeats the purpose of raising farm fresh food... no?

Birds don't get these extras in the wild, am i wrong to think you can grow chickens WITHOUT ANY EXTRA SUPPLEMENTS?? Does a well balanced diet not give the bird everything she needs??

Some supplements have their place, such as giving a bit of plain yogurt with the active cultures when you do have to use an antibiotic on an older bird. This helps somewhat with the gut flora and the diarrhea that sometimes results from antibiotics. Vitamins within reason aren't evil, either, but as a rule, yes, a good quality feed, especially if the birds get to freerange and eat green plants and bugs, will give them what they need. Sometimes, it can be a good idea to give oyster shell or even crushed eggshells back to the hens who are in lay to keep shells hard. Other than that, they really do not need anything else. Scratch feed isn't needed, although to feed it in winter just before roost time may boost the metabolism and keep the birds warmer overnight. And it's nice just to feed them things they like, such as warm oatmeal on a very cold morning, which probably makes us feel better rather than them! But, these are not drugs, hormones, unnatural ingredients.

To keep this on the main reason for the thread, though, be careful what you feed these little chicks beyond their chick starter and fresh water. Hard to believe that you don't have to do something, but it's better if you just don't. Keep it simple and it'll be easier on both the chicks and you!

Speckledhen, I've always been so grateful for your knowledgable posts. You're always so patient with us newbies and have great info. Thanks for sharing this!

ETA: I just found out that I've been feeding my 2 week old chicks Blue Seal Chick Starter (I buy it by the pound, so I've never seen the bag-- I called to ask). Has this been harming my chicks and should I switch to non-medicated? Or is the medicated/non-medicated debate purely about personal preference?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom