For those that raise turkeys in tractors

anthonyjames

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Port Washington, WI
I raised some turkeys this year an let them range within a 80 x 80 electrified poultry netted area with tractors I moved them into at night time for safety from our Great Horned Owl.

Well next year I will be moving to a new location with more area and I am thinking I will raise the BBB in tractors only to better utilize the space since I will have meat birds as well.

My tractors are roughly 8 x 10 or 10 x 10. How many turkeys can be comfortably raised in tractors of this size? Or would it be easier to build a roosting area to move through the pasture and to keep their food and water in? Any designs on these would be great.

My demand for next year is already up 25% which puts me at 125 turkeys and I will be ordering about 25 - 30 extra for late comers.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would like to know as well! We have 5 turkeys who are in a 8 x 10 tractor temporarily hooked (for winter) to a 2 level coop - 35 sq feet each floor. I am getting 15 Midget Whites in spring and wonder how much space they will need? I was planning on a 12 x 10 tractor with a run. Also, how long should I keep the original turkeys and the newbies seperate? Will they fight like chickens? (I CAN"T let them roam free as our dog will munch them - DH says he was here first so until old age gets him no completely free ranging birdies)

It'll depend on the quality and density of your pasture, how often you want to move the tractors and your personal preferences/standards for space.

Back
Top Bottom