For you Serama experts

mrandmrschicken

Songster
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
NW IA
At long last, I finally got a pair of Serama. It is very important that I get them used to being handled, which they are not. I may want to show them They are 6 month olds, she is laying, he is a breeder.
Are there any methods, tricks or treats I could try that will get them used to being handled? How long will it take to make them at ease with close contact? They are not wild, just not used to being picked up. The rooster does not seem aggressive. Does it help when they see us holding the other chickens?
Thanks for any advice or experience you can lend.
Eric

I am not an "expert" but I will try-- I would bring the chicken a treat each time, hold them often , petting them and preactice checking them over as a jsudge owuld in a show. I owuld put them in a conditioning pen ,perhaps seperating them for few weeks, to get them in the best possible condition before the show.I have a pair I am going to do the same with. Good luck! The roo I am planning to take is so nice and typey- but has a nasty attitude-I have much better behaved boy, with less nice type.I may take them both. I don't know yet. Still trying to decide.It would be my first time showing.

Back
Top Bottom