Formex vs Eglu vs OverEz and best compatible Walk-in Run?

KIslandGirls

Chirping
Mar 9, 2022
I need a coop in the short term and don't have time or the necessary tools or a helper to build from scratch. In the long run I might upgrade, but I actually had good luck for several years with four hens in a smaller prefab wooden coop housed in a 10x10 dog run. I'm in a new place and am adopting 8 grown hens. I definitely want a larger walk in run. I'm interested in the plastic coops both because they seem manageable by one person to assemble and move and they can be thoroughly cleaned in a way that porous surfaces cannot. I realize if I went with Eglu I would need 2 Cubes which gets $$$. The large Formex housed in a large run appears adequate for 8, I did both square footage and roost-length calculations. I would also consider the OverEz medium coop, which definitely seems large enough but is the most pricey of all the options I'm considering. Eglu and OverEz come with their own runs. The Formex would likely wind up in a Tractor Supply or Eglu run. The TS runs look like they need a LOT of Hardware cloth reinforcement. I have looked in the archives and didn't find anything that quite addresses this question although I see some support for Eglu as well as significant skepticism, and some good reviews on the Formex Coop.

Go to Home Depot, or other reputable home-center, and view the plastic storage shed they have. They are less cash than the Eglu line of coops. If you search on line there are many SCAMMERS advertizing "DEALS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE" Be careful of such, That is why I say,,,,,, go to physical store and see for yourself.
The sheds do need some modifications,,,,, but that is doable by most.
I circled the scam posting ad.
scams.PNG

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome

Go to Home Depot, or other reputable home-center, and view the plastic storage shed they have. They are less cash than the Eglu line of coops. If you search on line there are many SCAMMERS advertizing "DEALS TOO GOOD TO BE TRUE" Be careful of such, That is why I say,,,,,, go to physical store and see for yourself.
The sheds do need some modifications,,,,, but that is doable by most.
I circled the scam posting ad.
View attachment 3019561

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and :welcome
I don't have a truck, just a small sedan, so I will need a delivery option. This idea has merit though! What does it take in terms of tools to cut the plastic to install a door? What about run options?

Best to not adopt birds until after you have adequate housing,
then only as many birds as your housing will healthily contain.
That's a bit snarky. I intend to get a large enough coop and run for 8 hens. I have about a month to prepare. These hens became available and need a home. It's not my first rodeo, just my first rodeo at this property. I've done the square footage and roost length calculations, the options Ive selected are adequate, although the Eglu just barely. I do like their skirted run design.

I don't have a truck, just a small sedan, so I will need a delivery option. This idea has merit though! What does it take in terms of tools to cut the plastic to install a door? What about run options?
The plastic sheds come in pieces to assemble. Ask the clerk to show you the box, and then determine how to get it home.
Cutting plastic is not very difficult. There are options, like reciprocating saws, or hand operated ones.
hand saw.PNG
saw.PNG
Run is possible with a dog kennel. It is secure. Those can be found used on Craigs if possible. There are other fencing options,, that you can search out.

Back
Top Bottom