Fortuna, one tough little chicken!

TheAngryEagleKiwi

Songster
5 Years
Jun 12, 2017
I've had chickens for a few years now and almost all of them has made an impact on me and I loved each one of them in different way, but there's some who are more special than others and got a special place in my heart.

HXMK6376.jpg IMG_9616.JPG IMG_9618.JPG IMG_9620.JPG IMG_9622.JPG
This thread is for a Houdan named Fortuna (You'll see why soon) that I had bought as one of three "extra eggs" when ordering Araucana eggs. I will try to update this thread once in awhile with pictures and updates.

It started in early in April and I had finally got my incubator, turned it on and made sure it worked as it should. I had ordered my first batch of eggs: 4 Araucana (Or Easter egger, but they are rumpless and Easter eggers are pretty much non existant in my country) eggs and 3 Houdan eggs and they had arrived safely, had "rested" for 24 hours and were ready. IMG_6332.JPG

I had a pretty good hatch: only 2 of the eggs were infertile/didn't develop (1 Araucana and 1 Houdan) and the rest of the Araucanas hatched without any problems. The same could not be said about the Houdans...The first one pipped, but then stayed still for an awful long time. Having read that's normal, I didn't think much about it. When it had gone over 24 hours, I decided to intervene. It was already dead:(

The other Houdan had also pipped and I tried my hardest to think of what I had learnt from the internet and wait. 12-24 hours went and after already having lost one, I did a mistake...I helped it pre-maturely. (Please, remember to avoid helping a chick unless you're certain it actuall needs help, what I did was stupid and could've killed it, which I admit!)

I made sure to be as careful as I could, slowly removing parts of the shell and then leave it in the incubator. Soon, my paranoia and low patience got the best of me and I continued. It seemed to be fine and dandy, but then I noticed: The poor baby was bleeding like crazy!
I remembered what I had read and pressed paper against where it was bleeding, hoping for the best.

As paper after paper got filled with blood, I was losing hope, but soon the bleeding calmed down.
The poor thing was weak, if it was from bloodloss or from earlier, when it tried to hatch on it's own, I don't know.
I put it back into incubator, distraught over the fact that I may just have killed it.
Here's the inside of it's shell compared to one of the others:
IMG_6782.JPG IMG_6783.JPG

Fortunately, it was fine and soon it turned out to be one of most active of the chicks, running, chirping and just being, well, a chick! I named it Fortuna, after the Roman godess of luck. IMG_6792.JPG IMG_6791.JPG

After a few week, it and it's Araucana "siblings" moved into a larger cage together with another group that was about a week or two older: a silkie (taken by the fox:(), a plymouth rock (Got really ill:() and three Dark Cornish (All alive, happy and active:D), which went great and they got along perfectly.

But then, at about 9 weeks old, another thing happened to it: We had a very small old cabinet as a "coop" for them (it was warm outside, so we didn't need anything more complex) and while it wasn't overly heavy or big, it was still large and heavy compared to the tiny chicks.
So it all seemed fine, until disaster struck: The cabinet fell over and landed on Fortuna and some of the others (Fortuna was struck the worst, though). Amazingly, they all made it out alive and relatively fine, but Fortuna seemed a bit weak and we were worried it would have internal injures:barnie(Mom told me about it, as I weren't home and I've moved out, so I only see the chickens once in awhile, either way...)

Thankfully, all of them recovered and are all back to normal. So Fortuna may only be about 10 weeks old now (soon 11 weeks old), but already been through stuff! We've also made sure the cabinet wouldn't fall on them again, of course.

I always thought one of the the Araucanas (one of my favourite breeds) would
turn out to be a favourite and the Houdan would just be a bonus...Boy, was I wrong:love...

Now, I just hope it's a pullet and not a cockerel, but according to some very helpful people on this site, it so far seems likely to be a pullet. So let's hope they're right!:fl

Thank you for reading!:D

We have two houdans and they are so beautiful and calm. One it a bit ditzy - twice I have found our Peppa under a big, flipped over plastic tray I have in the run to put scraps in for my girls! And she goes through phases where she forgets to get up in the morning! I think I need to give her a bit of a haircut so she can see a bit better.

I'm glad your Fortuna made it. She's so cute! Having and hatching chickens is a learning curve for everyone. We all make mistakes but in the end that makes us better guardians.

We have two houdans and they are so beautiful and calm. One it a bit ditzy - twice I have found our Peppa under a big, flipped over plastic tray I have in the run to put scraps in for my girls! And she goes through phases where she forgets to get up in the morning! I think I need to give her a bit of a haircut so she can see a bit better.

I'm glad your Fortuna made it. She's so cute! Having and hatching chickens is a learning curve for everyone. We all make mistakes but in the end that makes us better guardians.
Haha, awww, what a silly little girl, she sounds so precious~ I hope Fortuna will turn out to be a calm hen too, but right now, she's bursting with energy.

Thank you and I really learnt my lesson and hopefully won't make the same mistakes again. Like you said, it's a learning curve.

Sorry for taking so long to update, I kinda forgot about this thread.

Anyway, so there's been a few new things in the life of Fortuna: She and her pals have now been free ranging with older chickens for a while and it's been going pretty well! (Except for when the oldest cockerel decided to pull out a large chunk of feathers of off her a while ago, but I guess it's how he tells her who's boss and he and the others bossed around the other chicks aswell in the beginning. I just can't help but to feel extra sorry for Fortuna after all she's already been through.) So, just less than an hour ago, I finally let her and her friends move into the coop, so fingers crossed:fl (I wish I had pictures, but the coop is in a need of a cleaning and my mom would not be happy if I posted pictures of it before it is cleaned, haha)
I am also now almost certain she's a pullet:yesss: Her crest is quite rounded and there's no red in what litte you can see of her comb. There's still a risk that I'm wrong, but so far, so good!

Back
Top Bottom