Found 3 raccoons trying to get out of my coop

Ginzu

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2019
South Florida
There is only 1 left. I showed no mercy j have my birds locked up and nothing is getting in there now. This happened 30 minutes ago at 1 am and I have some questions. Can I scare away raccoons with hanging their dead comrades from trees around my area? I have additional reinforcements already on my coop to keep my birds safe. I am just trying to really combat these scumbags.

A locked down coop is the only thing to stop a coon.

X2

What is different about the current "locked up" situation than what was in place when the coons got into the coop?

FWIW, an impregnable fortress will ALWAYS work much better than any revenge motivated half measures. The latter, while understandable when emotions are running high........are not going to be effective in the long run. 100% exclusion will be.

Can I scare away raccoons with hanging their dead comrades from trees around my area?
I caught a Raccoon weeks ago and they certainly have a strong smell.
I don't know if coons are territorial, but if they are, it could work.
I'm assuming the coons in your coop are a family.
I have acres of land and I put the carcass in a wooded area and checked it every couple of days. Nothing touched it for 10 days or so. Then something started to consume it. It took another 10 days or so before the carcass was clean, just bones left.
I'm thinking a Opossum consumed it.
Also a weasel or similar may have consumed it, but I've never seen one on my Game Cams on my property.
So if coons are territorial it could work for a while. GC

Last edited:
NO, in fact hanging the dead raccoons around your place will only draw other stuff to the vicinity of your chicken coop, like Possums, fox, coyote, vultures the neighborhood dogs and who know what else.
bury the dead raccoons and fortify the area or openings that they gained entrance to your coop.

Having a predator proof coop and run, so that nobody can get into it, with secure locks, is the most important thing.
Don't feed outside of that area, even when your birds are ranging, because any food scraps will attract unwanted visitors too.
If you do live trap, don't release any varmits you catch, be ready to shoot them.
Remember that raccoons carry a dangerous intestinal roundworm; their poo is toxic to humans! They also can have rabies or canine distemper. Wear gloves! Wash up! And wrap and bury them deep. Having other critters eat these carcasses is not a good idea.
Mary

Having other critters eat these carcasses is not a good idea.
Mary

On our property the foxes will take care of any carcasses overnight, except a raccoon. It seems even they know better than to touch one of those nasty critters, lol. A raccoon will lay there for a couple of days until it gets good and stinky then the vultures will swoop in and polish it off.

X2

What is different about the current "locked up" situation than what was in place when the coons got into the coop?

FWIW, an impregnable fortress will ALWAYS work much better than any revenge motivated half measures. The latter, while understandable when emotions are running high........are not going to be effective in the long run. 100% exclusion will be.

I wish could like this more than once! Revenge killing is worse than ineffective.

Highly recommend getting yourself a dog-proof trap or live trap- bait with some chunk chicken from a can or another smelly canned meat. Had success with dog proofs as raccoons are grabby. But yes - pen protection is first step. Check your coop out and reinforce it to try and keep them out. Also, yes a dead raccoon will potentially attract hawks/buzzards, coyotes, even dogs. (I don’t think it will stop other raccoons, as they’ll often get double and triple set where a group of them get trapped in the same area. One is already in trouble yet they come over anyways and end up caught. Mind you this is opinion- have personally never tried hanging one up, but I do know carcasses attract a variety of hungry other animals)

Back
Top Bottom