Like everyone else her, I’m blown away. What I would love to see is one of the chickens Laying an egg on that pile. I mean, what the hell are they thinking? Do they lay on the edge? Do they walk around on them carefully and find a spot? Do they sorta plan it and tell each other they’re heading to the hideout to lay— and sneak away giggling? Do they look back at the pile with pride? Do they stand around it and stare at it in awe? Do they rearrange the eggs occasionally??
:lau:lau:yesss:

I am kinda still in shock... Probably will just give them to the cats and chickens, as both really like eggs...

But here’s the thing I was wondering about... how long have my chickens been laying here!? Only three chickens were involved in this!

View attachment 2123151
Do you have a rooster? Many of them are probably still fertile. Get an incubator and hatch them.

HOW DO I FIND MY STASH OF EGGS. I've looked everywhere I can on my 1/3rd acre... I know they are out there somewhere and not in my coops. SUGGESTIONS PLEASE
In the last and most unlikely place :lau It's amazing how well hidden 20+ eggs can be!
(small crevices, under bushes/vegetation, in long grass... Once found a huge stash under a medium piece of plastic.)

we had an incident where the chickens had decided to lay under the porch, we weren't aware of it for a long time, the smell made us search for the source and there was a huge pile of eggs under the porch. had to put gloves on and set them in a bucket as most of them were rotten and several exploded as I put them in the bucket. i can still smell it, it haunts me

Amazing secret nest!
I'd throw only those that fail the float test, and cook the rest for pet / chicken food.
Meh. I'd try to float test them but, remember the float test is mearly a way to show how dehydrated the egg has become. Knowing your weather over those ~24 odd days would also help a bunch considering I can say from factual experimentation that eggs have cracked open smelling totally fine at almost 60 days and cooked up tasting fine. Mind you weather: humidity and temp specifically are key to your testing of egg safety. In a year of egg collection I have had 3 bad eggs and those all didn't have a bad odor, or any real odor per say as they were in the early days and had discovered a crack in them so fed them to the dogs. (Shrugs)

Crack them at your own risk! :sick
I'd throw them all out; rotten eggs do really smell ROTTEN!
That is an amazing collection, never before seen, and I hope never again...
Mary
Mary if math of 24 days is very close to accurate isn't the idea of a rotten smell a wee bit premature? Reference to the incubation period of eggs normally? They would need to candle them to detect *if* they would find a failed development & thus a very likely stink-monster? Or am I off base here? We don't know *if* any are even furtilized either, correct?

Back
Top Bottom