Found a banded pigeon! Connecticut!

Should I use the 2x4 or the branch for him?
They prefer to roost with their feet flat. Kudos to you for helping him out! :thumbsup I think maybe you should feed him up for several days before you let him try to make his way home, that is if you are going to release him.T
The red plastic band looks like the traceable type, but if there are no letters in addition to the numbers - it's not.

Why not move him there now and let him settle in?
It's their chicken run that has chickens in it right now. Chickens will be pulled out and put inside for the night and that is when they are going to put the pigeon in the run. Pigeon probably wouldn't be too happy in the run with the chickens.

Great job saving him! Thank you!

I've looked at the 'found a lost pigeon?' thread on here but there is no tracking number. The pigeon is still in my yard, and I could probably recapture it if needed. Seeking advice/confirmation that we've handled this properly.
The red band to me looks like a registered band. What letters does it have on it? any at all? If it doesn't, you could keep it for a few days and feed it chicken feed, and lots of water. then release it and hope it goes home. Don't tie anything onto it please!

I did some research, and the only red bands for this year I can find are NPA ones, but they have white letters... so I don't think it's traceable. :(

If you would be allowed to keep it, let us know and we will give you some general care. If not, I recommend releasing it after a few days of food and rest. Preferably somewhere that it hasnt seen before in your yard, so that it will have to fly.

Sorry for a long time with no response!
The pigeon flew away. The food and water bowls that I left out (food=mixture of birdseed and chicken feed) were running low, so he definitely ate something before leaving. He didn't seem at all injured, (if he was I would have taken him inside) and since we were going to let him free anyway, I feel ok about that. It is now pouring rain, and I've moved his food and water bowls to a sheltered spot near where he was before in case he comes back. Apparently he had already been resting in that neighbor's yard for a few days, and he flew off on his own. Keeping him would not have been an option (parents) but since it is my life goal to start a farm (I have my whole life planned out lol) this has made me consider having them. I'd already like to have quail, and if the two birds are compatible in an aviary with each other that would be wonderful.

They prefer to roost with their feet flat. Kudos to you for helping him out! :thumbsup I think maybe you should feed him up for several days before you let him try to make his way home, that is if you are going to release him.T
The red plastic band looks like the traceable type, but if there are no letters in addition to the numbers - it's not.
By the time I saw this post he had already flown away :( he ate some of his food and drank lots of his water. Apparently he had already been resting in the neighbor's lawn for a few days. The problem with keeping him long term would have been that the piece of run I can close off is half of the normal chicken run, and I usually keep the chickens' food and water in it because they make a mess of it in the coop.

Why not move him there now and let him settle in?
The problem is that it is about half of their run space...I have a really stupidly tiny chicken setup (parents) and there is a door I can close between the secure run, which connects directly to their coop, and the extension, which is much less secure and is closed off to the chickens at night. I wouldn't want him in there with the chickens because I am concerned that they could possibly peck him to death.

The problem is that it is about half of their run space...I have a really stupidly tiny chicken setup (parents) and there is a door I can close between the secure run, which connects directly to their coop, and the extension, which is much less secure and is closed off to the chickens at night. I wouldn't want him in there with the chickens because I am concerned that they could possibly peck him to death.
You did the right thing. If he left on his own then he felt strong enough. Wishing him a safe trip. :fl

Back
Top Bottom