Found a butchering video- Method I am going to use

Still flaps a little, no vocalizations. A very hands off way to kill them, and they are turned away from you so you don't have to look in the eyes while you do the deed. They never see it coming. My gun has both a .17 barrel and a .22, I have found the smaller .17 (higher velocity smaller projectile) works MUCH better then the .22, just fyi

What do you mean "I shoot the chicken at point blank"?

Thanks. I am also you shot at the body and not the head.
hu.gif
Not sure what you're asking? Like what if you missed the head?

I'd miss it. That's just how poorly coordinated I am.

Check your gun laws first.

We would be arrested if we did it like that :p

But this is Canada. Gun laws are far more strict.
You seriously can't have a pellet gun in CA?????

There is no place here in the US that restrict pellet guns that I know of.

What do you mean "I shoot the chicken at point blank"?
I mean the chicken is held upside down in a killing station (similar to a killing cone) facing away from me I place the barrel part of the gun up to the head until it is almost touching make sure I am pointing at the beak and pull the trigger. No moving target, no miss aim, no fuss, no muss.

I hang mine by their feet on a twine, stun them with a well placed hit with a piece of wood(I use the wooden club that one uses on fish) and then cut their throat, all the while I hold onto the head and bend it back with my thumb right where the spine connects to the skull and give just enough downward pressure that I feel that seperate. I find that controls the blood spray, also you know its 100% dead and even if you hit the trachea when cutting it doesnt matter since the bird doesnt breathe anymore.
Now I had a lot of practice butchering anything fowl, so I know how much pressure is required, where and how to cut etc. So this is an easy and quick method for me. With bigger birds like large turkeys or geese after cutting the throat I immediately take the point of the knife and stick it inbetween the spine and skull(so where your thumb sits) before I bend it back and break it, just because tendons etc are stronger in those big birds and in case I cannot get it broken the spine is already severed.

Regardless of how you do it the bird is going to twitch and flap, just a reaction to when the body fails to get a response out of the brain anymore. With most birds when you sever the spine you will notice instant flapping in comparison to ones that just left to bleed out who start flopping when they are almost done, that is due to the low blood pressure the brain died and the body is looking to re-establish connection.
Only thing that will change the severety of the convulsions is the health of the bird, sick birds then to not twitch much at all while top of health birds flap a lot.

You can get airsofts(Pellet or BB guns) but you cant get actual rifles without license(Well technically you can but you cant buy ammo) and you cant own handguns.
Shooting anything in a residential area or within in so many feet of someone else's house is against the law. I checked. A stray dog kept coming on our property. If someone heard it and reported it, I'd be in big trouble.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom