Found a chick

Hello!
This little chicken wandered into my yard the other day. I have zero chicken experience. Can someone tell me what kind of chicken this is, approximate age and if it’s a male or female? TIA!

View attachment 2276385
View attachment 2276388
Looks like a golden comet or golden sexlinks and I would say hen I would ask neighbors before giving her away she is really young and probably wandered away but couldn't have come from far

I don’t have any other chickens and I’m not sure if I should keep her or not. I found a farm sanctuary that said they would take her if I decide not to. I would really like to keep her but I live in a rental right now and I don’t think I’m allowed to have chickens in our development. I’m looking to buy a house in the near future and plan on moving to an area where I can have chickens. Is a lone house chicken super frowned upon? It would just be for a few months (hopefully) 😬
I think that it is admirable that you want to keep the chick. However it is not fair to you or the chick right now for you to keep it in your current situation because she will cause you more headache in your living situation with the terms of your rental regulations and then moving etc etc all those growing pains probably and the fact that chicks need a flock and other little chicks to grow up with at least one other buddy for comfort and to learn the ropes of growing up with. They just do much better with a flock even if it’s just two but three or four is really great that way everyone has a best bud to hang with and pair up with at the feeder. You also need time to do a little research. You owe this to yourself and them. Chickens are not rocket science but they do need a little birds and bee knowledge and a little horse sense and good ole common sense goes a long way too. They require good dedication and daily dedication in my book for feeding watering and husbandry goes along with this and is including this and they require some veterinary know how and care know how now because Mose vets will not see poultry these days and the chicken owners have to wade through the waters of injuries and illnesses for their birds along with vaccinations and working them now and treating for serious diseases. So taking on chicken ownership and doing it right is a big deal when you think about it these days if you want healthy birds, eggs, and you don’t want other people or the law breathing down your neck for some reason or other and you want to be healthy also. In the short of it. Don’t take it on until you are ready for them and you have had time to do your research and are settled in your for real home and you have a more permanent setup for your coop and you can have more than one chick and have a real backyard flock to support your birds and you for eggs and each other in a healthy manner so you are able to enjoy your chickens and they you and life for many years in your new home and the same for you for many years. Best of luck to you for finding a new home, and your research on owning chickens, and a healthy backyard flock and choosing the right breed of poultry for your family. Happy egg hunting and gathering also!

I’m not sure. Isn’t she a female though?
I live in the Deep South where the extreme summer temps have been horrendous and the indices were so bad between the Fourth of July and the last week in July that I kept my flock of nine chicks in my basement and refrained from keeping them outside on my screened in porch waiting the final construction completion in their coop and run. So anyway they are eleven weeks old right now and my point is they were in my house inside at eleven weeks. It can be done. My basement is closed off from the rest of my house and like I talked earlier about husbandry. You gotta stay upon it daily or twice daily in this situation cause there is not enough sweet PDZ anywhere to cut this smell believe me! You don’t want your house like a horse stall! You cannot stand to be in the same room with this for long in July. I am so glad my hens are now in their coop outside full time I could cry! Hens can be kept indoors but it is not what you want to do for long for very many chickens like over two chickens for very much time indoors at all. That’s my opinion.

Looks like a golden comet or golden sexlinks and I would say hen I would ask neighbors before giving her away she is really young and probably wandered away but couldn't have come from far
I have black Orpingtons. She looks like a Buff Orpington to me very much so except the legs and feet give me a little pause. My girls legs are black of course and I am not sure what color her legs and feet are supposed to be? I strongly believe that I am on the right track however I have not seen a Buff chick close up at that age before so I am sorry I am at a loss for comparison.

I have black Orpingtons. She looks like a Buff Orpington to me very much so except the legs and feet give me a little pause. My girls legs are black of course and I am not sure what color her legs and feet are supposed to be? I strongly believe that I am on the right track however I have not seen a Buff chick close up at that age before so I am sorry I am at a loss for comparison.
I only say golden sexlinks because she looks just like mine

Attachments

• 20200616_142007.jpg
    20200616_142007.jpg
    720.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20200727_201229.jpg
    20200727_201229.jpg
    749.5 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom