Found a super cute coop at lowes today!

Quote:
At the top where it says Index, User list, rules (ect) at the end it says "uploads" click that and it will show you how.
big_smile.png

I have 33 chickens and if I put them all in the nests they would all fit comfortably but I also have roosts across the center. So there is more than enough room imo between nest boxes, community nests, the ground where some sleep regardless, and the ladder roosts.

Hi DUCKGIRL89...I hate to burst your bubble, but the 8 x 4 house equals 32 sq. ft divided by 12 ducks +6 chickens, or 18 = 1.78 sq. ft per bird. I don't think it's large enough for full size adult ducks and chickens, even with the chickens roosting at night. How much room does one of your WH take up when nesting? Measure that out and multiply it by 12...then you will know how much space you need for them. The house is a great idea and I know you'd like to have them all together, but I agree with a BYCer that maybe two houses would be better. If the floor space is totally occupied by ducks, then all the poop from the hens on roosts will land on them and they won't be happy. If you would build a coop that is raised, the chickens can sleep/roost in it and six chickens + would be fine. Under the coop there should be room for 12 ducks to have nests...so 32 sq. ft under the coop divided by 12 ducks = 2.66 sq. ft per bird. Do you think that is large enough? Then, of course, you will need a run....oh! I see where you are planning on free ranging them. Also, as other BYCers have suggested on various threads, check out Craigslist for used coops.I will be on the lookout for coops that are reasonable and when I see one I'll PM you.

Don't lose faith! It will all work out and all your babies will be in a warm and safe place.

Also, the only time my free range chickens use the coop is to lay eggs or to sleep. They don't stay locked up 24/7. When it's dark all the birds are docile and pretty much care free. With the double stacked nests and ground space they are all happy/content with the sleeping arrangements.

The red tractor only has one layer for the 17 adults to sleep in at once and they made it work without any issues. The birds will adapt. I think if you use your better judgement then you'll be ok and your birds will be happy.

I don't know where you are in KY, but this ad is on CraigsList in area 41040. When I googled Craigslist KY it lists Craigslist's per town such as Lexington, etc. Check on a town near you, or maybe further out for new or used coops.

Nice Chicken Coop/House 6x8 - $800 (41040)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: 2011-11-12, 4:58AM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a nice chicken coop. It is 6 feet wide and 8 feet long. It stands 6 and a half feet tall at the peak. It comes with 6 nesting boxes, a light and a plug. It has 6 total small windows. Three on one side and 3 on the other. The windows consist of a frame and plexiglass added to it. Also the windows are on hinges so you can open them for the summer and shut them for this winter. The small chicken door is in the back and will come with the little chicken ladder. It has plenty of roosts which are removable for cleaning purposes. The human door is 5 feet tall and 24 inches wide. You will choose the color of shingles to match your house or barn or whatever. These are black, tan, brown, and gray. I do have a little webpage I made if you would like to see other coops I make it is jkchickencoops.webstarts.com This coop will be unpainted it is 800 dollars cash. These are made when ordered so it will take me about a week to have yours ready for pickup. I can also deliver for an extra charge depending on where you are located. this coop will house many chickens. Remember it is unpainted or I will paint it for an additional charge. I am just trying to save you a little money. if interested call 859-630-7346 and have a great day.

Quote:
Hey hunter! Nah, you didnt burst no bubble. It was a long shot
wink.png
I will just make another coop for the chickens
big_smile.png

Oh, and the ducks have a runn already. They have 50 sq feet each in it. Which I think is very roomy.
big_smile.png

Dont even know if the rest of my chicken eggs will hatch
sad.png
only one has hatched so far
hit.gif

Thanks again guys!

Quote:
Thats a great deal! But im not in KY. Im in TN
lol.png

Roocrazy. They dont have very good shelters AT all. Building a temperary one until the next good one is built.

Back
Top Bottom