Found an egg,..???

bernie131

Songster
5 Years
Apr 26, 2016
Kansas City, Kansas
I have 2 duckling that were born June 22nd (1 is female and 1 is a drake)and I found an egg. They are half Pekin and half Mallard and mom is Pekin about 8yrs,..??? Don't know but I was feeding her at the college pond for 5yrs until she got attacked while sitting on her nest and some of her eggs were destroyed so I brought her and her nest home and I birthed 2 ducklings myself and they are imprinted on me and they currently on my back porch so when I was cleaning while they were outside I found a egg. Probably not fertile,..correct???

Raenh

Free Ranging
Jul 29, 2017
Tomball, Texas
You have a duck and a drake, it might be fertile unless they haven't been mating, yet. If what your asking, is because they are mixed breeds, is the egg viable? It is, if its fertile because both breeds are a mallard derived species.
If they were both half muscovy and half pekin, then no the egg would be a dud even though a muscovy and a pekin can have babies - their offspring can not.

Raenh

Free Ranging
Jul 29, 2017
Tomball, Texas
Yes, mallards mature faster then muscovies and mine were mature to enough at 4 months and started laying shortly thereafter. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, though. :)

bernie131

Songster
5 Years
Apr 26, 2016
Kansas City, Kansas
You have a duck and a drake, it might be fertile unless they haven't been mating, yet. If what your asking, is because they are mixed breeds, is the egg viable? It is, if its fertile because both breeds are a mallard derived species.
If they were both half muscovy and half pekin, then no the egg would be a dud even though a muscovy and a pekin can have babies - their offspring can not.
Wow I didn't know that,..thank you

Top Bottom