Found cracked egg w/ embryo still developing...can it be saved???

Quote:
Alright, so I had pretty much given up on it and decided to just leave it alone and let it pass away on its own...I couldn't bear to just toss it out when there was a little embryo with a beating heart in there.
sad.png
So I left it alone for most of the day and I went to check on it, thinking it was a goner by now...and guess what? The little heart is still beating!
ep.gif
So I finally decided, what the heck, I might as well try to do something instead of just let it die...if it doesn't work, it'll die anyways, just like if I hadn't tried to do anything. So I took a few pieces of scotch tape, covered the hole, and put a thick layer of plain, unscented candle wax over the tape and any other cracks...it's a bit of a mess, and I honestly do not believe it'll make it, but I'm gonna give it a shot and put it back under the broody hen and see how it goes. It'll be a miracle of it's not dead within a few days though.
th.gif

I'll keep you all updated!

Quote:
20-21...it had literally JUST started developing...all there is that I can see is a tiny (about the size of the tip of a pencil) embryo with a little beating heart, and a small web of red veins around it.

Quote:
Alright, so I had pretty much given up on it and decided to just leave it alone and let it pass away on its own...I couldn't bear to just toss it out when there was a little embryo with a beating heart in there.
sad.png
So I left it alone for most of the day and I went to check on it, thinking it was a goner by now...and guess what? The little heart is still beating!
ep.gif
So I finally decided, what the heck, I might as well try to do something instead of just let it die...if it doesn't work, it'll die anyways, just like if I hadn't tried to do anything. So I took a few pieces of scotch tape, covered the hole, and put a thick layer of plain, unscented candle wax over the tape and any other cracks...it's a bit of a mess, and I honestly do not believe it'll make it, but I'm gonna give it a shot and put it back under the broody hen and see how it goes. It'll be a miracle of it's not dead within a few days though.
th.gif

I'll keep you all updated!

Good Luck
fl.gif

I'm thinking at day1-2 incubation, it is too early to see a heart and veins, but thats just me thinking...

Here is a little taxidermy trick I used to do when I mounted animals. Take a USED dryer sheet, cut it to fit over the crack then wipe some glue over that and let it dry. I know crazy glue would work to hold it, but not sure if it would be toxic to the inside if it comes in contact. Personally, I would try Mod Podge. It is non-toxic and you can get it at Walmart. Just put enough on it to wet the dryer sheet and put over the crack. When it dries you will have a good seal.

Quote:
Ohh right, sorry I wasn't thinking about that...so it must have been around 7 days into incubation, so around 14 days (give/take a day or two) left.

But it doesn't matter now anyways, the egg didn't make it.
sad.png

Thanks anyways for everything! I'll definitely remember it for future reference!

Quote:
Ohh right, sorry I wasn't thinking about that...so it must have been around 7 days into incubation, so around 14 days (give/take a day or two) left.

sad.png

Thanks anyways for everything! I'll definitely remember it for future reference!

I'm sorry it didn't make it
hugs.gif

Quote:

sad.png

I'm sorry it didn't make it
hugs.gif

Thanks.
hugs.gif
It just made me sad to see that tiny little heart beating away, and knowing that I couldn't save it.
sad.png
Oh well, hopefully out of the 10 other eggs that the broody hen is sitting on, at least a few will hatch.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom