Found duck egg

Just posting to follow the little one's progress, Ravyn has given you lots of good advice so far.

ok thanks, he seems too really like it in the box he has become very active maybe he will pop out the rest of the egg soon

Yay! Active is good!

Just don't rush him... you want him to absorb all his yolk first... ducklings take a long time, so try not to worry... if it keeps making a 'yawning' motion, that means it's still absorbing yolk... once it starts peeping strongly and struggling a lot, that shows when it's close to ready...

Ok so its nearly been 48 hours since i first found it and heard it peeping, how long should i wait before intervening?

48 hrs is just an avg time frame and only from first pip... can't say when to help without knowing how it looks... do you still see veins? Is it peeping or just yawning? Any struggling?

its peeps about every 5 mins it doesnt seem to struggle with any force just like wrigle around to get comfortable. the mebrane seems to be drying out a bit despite the vaseline and humid environment.
0.jpg

It looks real juicey in the video but thats just a lil vas. the membrane seems to have peeld away from the egg shell more i might just leave the lil guy but i dont want to leave him in there if hes trapped in the egg ya know

I tried to post a video of the lil guy moving round but the post needs approval from a mod it says.
so ill jsut post a pic
the wet look is just vaseline, the membrane is that whitey color on the right. it seems to have come away from the shell a bit more.

Video has to be uploaded to youtube or vimeo before it can be posted to BYC...

Looks like he's not quite ready yet... the membrane is separating from the shell cuz it's drying out... go ahead and spread some more vaseline on it, all around the parts not covered by shell...

Is he peeping or yawning?

I think maybe both, he peeps and then sometimes just opens his mouth with no sound, is that yawning?

Yep, that's the yawning... that is what they do when they're still absorbing yolk... so definitely not ready yet... just be patient... ducklings love to teach us patience, lol... :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom