Found egg in run, safe to eat or balut?

gtaus

Crossing the Road
5 Years
Mar 29, 2019
Northern Minnesota
My Coop
My Coop
This morning I was repiling the leaves in the chicken run to make a large mound for the chickens to scratch through. I discovered an egg in the leaves, buried about 4 inches deep. It was a white egg, so I know that hen has only been laying for 2 weeks. Our daytime temps are around 60F and nights dropping into low 40F's. After washing the egg off, the white shell is stained brown from the leaves. Other than the discoloration of the shell, the egg is in good shape, but I don't know how old it is.

Is this egg safe to eat or is it closer to a balut at this point? OK, I know it's not a fertilized egg, so not technically a balut. But is it safe to eat or should I hard boil this egg and feed it back to the chickens? What is the best method to do with a found egg and the age is uncertain?

I just hurl those kind of eggs into the woods. I wouldn’t want to crack it open not knowing what odor would emanate. Lol

Yeah, I thought about the smell. Would be able to glove up crack it open outside, I guess. No matter what, the wife will not know about it.....

Need to keep peace in the family. :hugs A smelly egg would not impress her.

Put it in water. If it sinks it should be good. If it was loose in the run, it most likely was not sat upon. Otherwise you would have noticed a broody on it.

OK, the water test. My pullets are only 22 weeks old, and none have been broody as most have not started laying yet.

Back
Top Bottom