Found hatched chick cold but alive what to do now!?

CrackedKlucker

In the Brooder
May 18, 2018
Ok....over the last week we have had 6 chicks hatching out, all being sat with a broody hen. We have been vigilant about removing the chicks within hours after hatching. After these babies become mobile, it's to risky to leave them after seeing the first two being pecked badley. Upon usual water, feed and grazing time, I found a new hatchling lying in the coop cold barely moving, but alive. We have brought it to the chick box with heat lamp and currently holding it slightly away from the lamp but close enough to gradually warm it's little body. We have gingerly dipped it's beak in water but not forcing too much as I don't want to cause aspiration.

Now what?

Attachments

• IMG_20181022_193117621.jpg
    IMG_20181022_193117621.jpg
    345.8 KB · Views: 25
Ok....over the last week we have had 6 chicks hatching out, all being sat with a broody hen. We have been vigilant about removing the chicks within hours after hatching. After these babies become mobile, it's to risky to leave them after seeing the first two being pecked badley. Upon usual water, feed and grazing time, I found a new hatchling lying in the coop cold barely moving, but alive. We have brought it to the chick box with heat lamp and currently holding it slightly away from the lamp but close enough to gradually warm it's little body. We have gingerly dipped it's beak in water but not forcing too much as I don't want to cause aspiration.

Now what?
Oh, I am so sorry this happened. Hopefully you got to it in time. I think focus on getting it warm. That should be priority one. Once good and warm (and hopefully perked up), then try getting it to drink. Do you have electrolyte powder or nutridrench on hand? If not I will look for a recipe for homemade electrolyte solution. Good job finding the little one! Glad you were watching so closely!

Nice save!

Give the chick a drop of vitamins like rooster booster or poly vi sol without iron.

Keeping it warm and getting it to drink is good. It should perk up and start eating soon

Back
Top Bottom