Found hen dead. Any ideas what happened?

What do you mean by papers?

Yeah, someone near my grandpa's place has like 50 Golden Comets, which I think is a bit over kill.
It varies per location, but if you sell over __ amount of chicks or eggs, you need to have this and that or whatever. I don't know what to call it lol! You have to be certified or something. 😅

Wow! Thats a lot of Golden Comets! Thats crazy!

It varies per location, but if you sell over __ amount of chicks or eggs, you need to have this and that or whatever. I don't know what to call it lol! You have to be certified or something. 😅

Wow! Thats a lot of Golden Comets! Thats crazy!
Oh, NPIP. I'm Planning to get NPIP Certified some day.

Yes, it is crazy. They also sell eggs apparently.

Are you using separate calibrated thermometers, & Hygrometers in your incubator?

What brand of incubator?
Yep, I was in the first one, and my Hygrometer is calibrated. I was originally using a Little Giant with a Calibrated theremomiter/hygrometer. I didn't like that incubator, so I borrowed a NR360 from a friend, became they seemed to be out of stock. The friend that hatched with it got a pretty good hatch rate while trusting he gauge, and everyone else on here said its pretty trustworthy.
I would use a calibrated thermometer, but I calibrated it twice doing the same thing each time, and got different results by 2 degrees each time. I didn't trust the calibration, so I decided to go with trusting the gauge.
I dont get it though, all the eggs were alive a day ago, and in a day over half have quit? It doesn't make sense. I didn't do anything different, I don't get it.

Yep, I was in the first one, and my Hygrometer is calibrated. I was originally using a Little Giant with a Calibrated theremomiter/hygrometer. I didn't like that incubator, so I borrowed a NR360 from a friend, became they seemed to be out of stock. The friend that hatched with it got a pretty good hatch rate while trusting he gauge, and everyone else on here said its pretty trustworthy.
I would use a calibrated thermometer, but I calibrated it twice doing the same thing each time, and got different results by 2 degrees each time. I didn't trust the calibration, so I decided to go with trusting the gauge.
I dont get it though, all the eggs were alive a day ago, and in a day over half have quit? It doesn't make sense. I didn't do anything different, I don't get it.
Okay, not sure what to say.

Without a necro, it's hard to say what did happen. She could have ate something very bad and got poisoned? She could have had a heart attack straining? Many things could have gone wrong, yes even egg issues but you won't know if you don't look.

If the other birds are fine then Id chalk it up to just short lifespan due to the above mentioned reasons.

Even the apparently healthiest of people / animals just kick off sometimes. It oculd have been some other genetic defect you had no way of knowing about as well.

Sorry to hear about the bird, it sucks when that happens, but hopefully it's an isolated case and not some bugaboo on your flock.

Aaron

I guess if your selling eggs that makes sense, but I would want some variety. Like Marans and EE's, then you could sell colored egg baskets! :D

NPIP, yes thats it.
I'm not NPIP, but still sell chicks locally, & to whomever can travel the distance. I have Porcelain D'uccle chicks available right now actually.
20210509_141600.jpg

My NR360 is a couple of degrees off and I know of one other person with the same thing. Just wanted to let you know. Last year my incubator readings were right on but not this year. I still love my NR360 though.

Without a necro, it's hard to say what did happen. She could have ate something very bad and got poisoned? She could have had a heart attack straining? Many things could have gone wrong, yes even egg issues but you won't know if you don't look.

If the other birds are fine then Id chalk it up to just short lifespan due to the above mentioned reasons.

Even the apparently healthiest of people / animals just kick off sometimes. It oculd have been some other genetic defect you had no way of knowing about as well.

Sorry to hear about the bird, it sucks when that happens, but hopefully it's an isolated case and not some bugaboo on your flock.

Aaron
Thank you! Ya, I bet it could be a bunch of things. I've always wanted to do a Necropsy, and I bet if I had someone with me that was experienced in butchering or something lol, I could. But, I can't kill a thing so have no experience in butchering lol. Alone, I would have no idea what I was doing. :p

It does suck. I'll keep an eye on the rest of the flock, and definitely look for toxins, etc. I know mold can kill fast, so I'll look around for that as well. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom